Chunky Balusters & Reclaimed Wood Planks

November 30, 2015 by Terry

I stumbled across some chunky balusters this past summer while browsing a local classified ad website There were six of them to be exact.  Six gorgeous curvy balusters!

Marry the balusters with some reclaimed 2×10 wood planks and this is what you get…

10Now, here’s my dilemma… should I leave the balusters and the skirt of the table dark like this or should I make them chippy(ish) antique white so to tie in with the table top more?

this is the top of the table

I kinda like it the way it is, but at the same time sorta want to see it a bit lighter?  hmmmmmm …  What do you think?

I found these frames and just had to have them!  The small one comes from the All Things Pretty Market this past weekend and the large one I found at a thrift store with a seriously bad cardboard print in it.  The window frame comes from a 100 year old school House adjacent to my parent’s farm land.

I love the look of all of them even as is.  I don’t know that I will fill them just yet, maybe place a wreath in one or both of them as a display for Christmas.

The weather was -25 here today so rather than shovel snow and do errands, I opted to stay in and play with the camera instead.

Let me know your thoughts about changing the colour of the legs and skirting so I can change it if needed before The Little Deer Market on December 5.  Also… is it ‘Market Worthy’?  or should I leave it home?

Have a great day!

DIY Show Off

The Crowned Goat

i should be mopping the floor

Elizabeth & Co.

Lehman Lane

Seeking Lavendar Lane

30 thoughts on “Chunky Balusters & Reclaimed Wood Planks

1. It looks fabulous! Love it! I can see what you mean by going lighter but either way will work. I expect that will be a hard piece to part with.

2. That would be a hard piece to let go of. The entire vignette is just beautiful. Fun to see you in the pictures too!
    I love the whole colorway of the piece. The frames are fabulous!
    Beautiful.
    Deb

Thank you Deb! Believe it or not these photos were taken in my laundry room ;) This table would make a great folding table … hmmmmmm…..
      I hope you have a great day!

3. Everything is gorgeous, but those pearl strands and that gorgeous sweater you’re wearing, I love! Your pieces are all very market worthy.

You are so sweet! Thank you! Those pearl strands are being priced for the market as well, they are garland for a Christmas tree ;) I love them too! I hope you have a great day!

4. It looks FABulous Terry! I’ve been hoarding some cool balusters to do this same project too- but I keep getting side tracked with OTHER projects! Seeing yours makes me smile- I love your work!
    But- if you really feel like it should be just a smidge lighter- can I suggest using some liming wax?! It’s translucent but can give the slightest “sun-faded” look (unless you get heavy handed!).
    *See an example in this post if you’re interested!

Oh Catherine, I loved that piece you did with the liming wax! Great idea! I have never used it before so it isn’t the first thing to come to mind. I’m adding it to my ‘things to get’ list right away! I can’t wait to see the one you build! I wish I had more balusters to make another with!
      Have a great day!

First of all, excellent call on the staying in and playing with the camera instead of shoveling snow! That would definitely be my preference as well ;-) As for the table, I’m with Debra. It would be fabulous either way. And it certainly is market worthy, but then again, it sure does look good in your laundry room. Decisions, decisions!

Thank you Quandie! I get attached to everything I make …. I could easily become a hoarder! The inside of my house is looking like a booth at the market right now so I have to let it all go so I can make room for the Christmas tree! Smiles!

6. thecrownedgoat says:

Terry, this table is stunning! oh my word, i don’t even know how you can let this thing go! love love love it :) Hugs, CoCo

Thank you CoCo! I hope someone else loves it as much! It is hard to let it go but if it doesn’t sell I won’t be upset ;) I hope you have a great day!

7. Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. says:

What a wonderful creation Terry! Featured at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

8. I think it’s absolutely perfect just the way it is! The color of the rustic wood reminds me of marble for some reason, and I think the darker color really complements it. Not sure I could part with that beauty!

Hi Cynthia! I am having such difficulty deciding! Ond moment I’m loving it and the next moment I’m thinking it needs ‘something’ …. Hmmmmmm! I really am growing fond of it but I cannot keep it all! With all the stuff for the market coming up, I have nowhere to put up our Christmas tree! I hope you have a great day!

9. Christine says:

oh gawd I love these pictures!!!! What a wonderful set up! Will have to follow you along! Christine from Little Brags

10. What a gorgeous table Terry! I think the color of the balusters would be a great bottom coat with a white wash over top. Nice to see you in the photos and I love your cable knit caftan!

Thank you Marie! I agree, a white wash over the legs is needed. The more I look at it the more I lean in that direction. Plus… If it doesn’t look good I can always go back with the dark :0)! I hope you have a great day!

11. Tara Lehman says:

Terry, this may be my favorite piece of yours yet! I wouldn’t change a thing, I think its perfect. The contrast of the reclaimed wood with the paint of the legs. You styled it perfectly too! Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful piece @ Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. Have a wonderful weekend and take care, Tara

12. Betty says:

Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Thing blog hop

13. I say leave them dark! I love it just the way it is! Complete perfection! Thank you for linking up with Dream. Create. Inspire. Link! I am featuring you this week!

Cat

14. […] Feature is…Chunky Balusters and Reclaimed Planks from Terry @ The Curator’s […]

15. thesummeryumbrella says:

Oh wow!! This is absolutely stunning, and I definitely love the reclaimed wood. Thank you so much for joining us at the Creative Circle link party :)

16. […] chunky baluster and reclaimed wood table top from Terry of The Curator’s Collection is truly a beautiful piece! Isn’t it […]

17. Deb Foglia says:

Wow how gorgeous is this! I love this piece a lot a lot! Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Circle Link Party, you are being featured today…hope to see you stop by again and link up all your best projects of 2015!

18. […] chunky baluster and reclaimed wood table top from Terry of The Curator’s Collection is truly a beautiful piece! Isn’t it […]

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

The other day I let my daughter drive us home after being away. I was absolutely exhausted from life in general. This was the view from my passenger window... a beautiful reminder to slow down and listen to God’s whispers... He’s got this. #listentothewhispers #godsgotthis #bestillandknow #thatstillsmallvoice #heismystrength
So proud of these girls! Congratulations Haileybear and Brittany! #sweetsuccess #allgrownup #newchapter #bestfriends #graduation #thecuratorscollection #soproudofyou
And just like that it is done! What it beautiful day we had celebrating our baby girl! #graduation #beautifulday #notredamehighschool #growinguptoofast #loveher
cap and gown 🎓 ceremony done... now onto the good stuff!!! THE DRESS! 🙌🏻👏🏻🎓 .... can’t wait to see my beautiful girl in her dress! 💝 #graduation #babygirl #allgrownup #soproud #beautiful #loveher
... and she doesn’t think she’s pretty! ??? So proud of this girl! Baby number two is graduating from high school this coming Saturday… Where has the time gone? She has definitely been our “wild card” from the very beginning! So full of energy and always ready to help wherever it is needed. She is ambitious and fun and has an amazing heart! We know she will be successful in anything she does. What a gift she has been to our family! #proud #beautiful #strong #loveofmylife #blessed #loved #congratulations #graduation #bestfriendsforever #modelmaterial
Happy Monday friends! I know I haven’t posted anything for quite some time but as I sit here this evening I feel it’s time to share a bit more of what has been happening for the last few months. Most of you don’t know this but for the last 11 months I have been slowly learning the technical side of my family’s business. For the past 43 years my parents have invested their blood sweat and tears making our family business such a huge success. (@globefootwearltd ) I am privileged and honoured to be able to carry that on for them. 11 months ago I took a leap of faith and left everything I was comfortable with to come and carry on our family heritage. Our children were brave enough to leave their friends and their school in order to support their mom in keeping the family heritage alive. Today I am proud to say that while I still have much to learn, I am happy that we took that leap. It truly is an amazing journey and a hard (at times challenging) one at that… But with God’s grace and strength we will carry through for continued success! God is good! I’m still loving furniture makeovers and when I can, I still enjoy DIY and sharing what I make… But for now… I have to take a step back from that part of my life and focus on what is before me. I hope you will stay, and follow along in my journey. We have a new home where we are and are wanting to put our style mark on it… I know there are a few stencilling projects in our future ;-) I will share more with you soon. You can follow along on my business journey too at @globefootwearltd ❤️😊 #newlife #newfriends #newbusiness #newadventures #shoestore #familybusiness #heritage #myheritage #godisgood #strengh #godsgrace #globefootwearltd