Living Room Turned Dining Room | Room Refresh

January 26, 2016 by Terry

FINALLY!  I have no idea why, but it’s taken me forever to post about this room swap.  It would seem that while I love to share what I’m up to I am not in love with the whole process of putting it all together word wise.  I have never been the greatest writer and could easily ramble on with unnecessary details.  Let’s just say that I procrastinate about writing … a whole lot!

Taking photos of my finished projects and sharing them is my preference :)

This room refresh began after Christmas when I decided that I was finally going to try swapping rooms.  Since we moved into this home I have always felt that the living room would make the perfect sized dining room for our large family.  Our home is a 5 level split and the living, dining and kitchen areas are all on the same level with an open concept.

Having 7 people every night around the table means having a large table to sit around.  While the table fits in the dining area, it is a little small feeling for the size of it and disrupts the flow between the living area and the kitchen.  I was always feeling like I had to travel around too much furniture to get to the living room.

Now with the living and dining rooms combined into one dining space it just feels right!

The ceiling is high and everything that is supposed to be in the dining area fits beautifully without feeling like you have to squeeze through the space.  Of course I still have some tweaking to do to really pull it all together but for now I’m loving this space and more importantly, so is the family!

In the future the ceiling will be white and the chandelier will be different.  The one shown here is just a photo prop and will soon be made over in white for my daughter’s room.  I am hoping for something larger for the dining room.

I am also hoping to have crafted a custom corner cabinet to take the place of this little primitive cupboard that I am temporarily using to house some left over china from my antique booth.

I didn’t have enough room for it all so I scoured my garage for something and came up with turning this wooden tool caddy on it’s side to use as shelving.  I think it’s cute like this for now.

I have decided as well to use my Deconstructed wing back chair as the captain’s chair at the head of the table.  Of course I will be needing another one for the other end which will be another project on the horizon.  I do have one waiting for a makeover in the garage.

I am so happy with this room and the flow in the house is much better.  I really wish I would have done this sooner.

I’ll be quiet now and just share the rest of the photos I took :)

I hope you have a sunny day!

See you here Thursday for Making Broken Beautiful!

You can view last week’s link up here!

Stone Gable

The Crowned Goat

Seeking Lavender Lane

Lehman Lane

DIY Show Off

40 thoughts on “Living Room Turned Dining Room | Room Refresh

1. Becky says:

Beautiful room and I love your table.

2. Jeannie says:

I love it, and what you have planned for the room sounds wonderful. I look forward to seeing it as it evolves. :)

3. Uh~WoW! LUV your swap! (Now show us pics of the other side of the space!)
    In luv with that table, and especially its legs!
    The tool caddy was a stroke of genious- I think I have to steal that! ; D

Catherine you are too funny! I plan to show the other side soon, just need to finish up some tile work first on my back splash … one thing really leads to another doesn’t it? I hope you have a great week!

4. Christine says:

omg , insert drool marks here….LOL….LOVE everything about this space. May I ask what paint color the gray walls are? PINNING

Christine! You are sooooo sweet! You made my day! The grey on the walls is called Granite by Behr paints. I love it too, believe it or not it actually makes a room feel larger:) I hope you have a great day!

5. Christine says:

ohhh and what is that awesome jar on the wall with the twinkle lights???

… The awesome jar is actually an antique calf feeder. It has an opening (i turned towards the wall) to attach a rubber nipple to in order for the calf to suckle. It’s my favorite piece at the moment! Thank you for your visit and for brightening my day!

6. Your room is beautiful. The gray and white with the brown wood works so well together. I’m re-doing my master bathroom in those colors and have been trying to figure out how to paint the walls dark gray without making it too drab and dark. The half white bottom in your room really works for me.

Thank you so much! I’m not in love with the red-ish tone of the wood floors and would love to see them in another color but that will be a makeover for another year :) ! I hope you have a great week!

7. aschulth says:

Your dining room looks so inviting! I love the window treatments and hardware, perfect choice for those huge windows. Great job!

Thank you so much! I can’t wait to paint the ceiling to make it come together more… just need to find the time to get it done ;) I hope you have a great week!

8. Wow, stunning! I love every detail. That buffet is a show stopper and you have it styled so beautifully. Susan

Thank you so much Susan! I still have a few things to tweak but I’m loving it right now. Thank you so much for the high compliments, I’m flattered! I hope you have a great week!

9. You really have a keen eye for interior design Terry – the room is gorgeous! I love how you’ve added the desconstructed wing chair to the head of the table. I think the tool caddy flipped on its side to store china has such great farmhouse appeal. Swooning over your white painted buffet that has such a presence in the room. Smart idea flipping the purpose of each room.

Oh my goodness Marie you make me blush! Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments! I can’t wait to share it at the Sunday Showcase! I hope you have a great day!

10. The rooms are lovely. You have exquisite taste and a flair for design.

Wowza! Fab! I have a friend who swapped her living room/dining room for more dining space and she loves it that way too. I love your chippy yellow dresser, that piece is amazing. And the tool caddy on its side is pure genius. But what I really want to know is this, is the cake under the glass dome real? or a prop cake? It looks delicious. Now I want some cake …

Awe! Thank you! The cake is actually 17 years old! It’s the top to our wedding cake with the topper removed! ha! I feel like cake every time I see it too! Have a great day!

12. liferedesign101 says:

Your dining room is beautiful and seems very practical for your family. I am a big fan of using your home the way it works for you, not the way it was “labeled” on an architects drawing. I once switched a dining room and living room and it was a great move!

13. repurposingjunkie says:

Terry, you have a beautiful home and are a very talented home designer!! I love the layout of your dining room! The primitive cabinet is so cool, and I love that pillow with lace on it and that beautiful white teacup, big pieces and small details…everything looks so wonderful!!

14. This is beyond gorgeous, Terry! I just wanted to let you know this will be one of the features at Monday’s Something to Talk About link party. Hope your weekend is amazing, CoCo

15. Rebecca says:

What a beautiful and cozy dining room. It looks so elegant in black and white, and the pops of green really bring it to life.

16. I have nothing to say because I would just be copying what everyone else said. Back off everyone! I saw her first! Perfection, Terry😍

17. What a beautiful room, love your table and the pretty pops of green. Hope you have a great weekend.

18. […] Living Room Turned Dining Room Refresh by The Curator’s Collection DIY Hugs and Kisses Pop Art Valentines Tablescape by MBZ Interiors Vintage Bed Frame by ShayRenovation Master Bathroom Reveal by Brian and Kaylor  Homemade Chocolate Massage Lotion by Houseful of Handmade Easy Spiral Paper Flower Heart by Canary Street Crafts […]

19. […] Living Room Turned Dining Room Refresh by The Curator’s Collection […]

20. Tara Lehman says:

Your dining room looks absolutely gorgeous Terry! I really like the flip. I love how you styled that buffet. So pretty:). Thanks so much for sharing this @ our party! I hope you had a wonderful weekend and take care, Tara

21. […] from The Curator’s Collection designed a jaw dropping dining room that is full of delicious […]

22. […] from The Curator’s Collection designed a jaw dropping dining room that is full of delicious […]

23. […]  These projects make Winter White look oh so good! Take a look and get inspired… Terry from The Curator’s Collection designed a jaw dropping dining room that is full of delicious […]

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

The other day I let my daughter drive us home after being away. I was absolutely exhausted from life in general. This was the view from my passenger window... a beautiful reminder to slow down and listen to God’s whispers... He’s got this. #listentothewhispers #godsgotthis #bestillandknow #thatstillsmallvoice #heismystrength
So proud of these girls! Congratulations Haileybear and Brittany! #sweetsuccess #allgrownup #newchapter #bestfriends #graduation #thecuratorscollection #soproudofyou
And just like that it is done! What it beautiful day we had celebrating our baby girl! #graduation #beautifulday #notredamehighschool #growinguptoofast #loveher
cap and gown 🎓 ceremony done... now onto the good stuff!!! THE DRESS! 🙌🏻👏🏻🎓 .... can’t wait to see my beautiful girl in her dress! 💝 #graduation #babygirl #allgrownup #soproud #beautiful #loveher
... and she doesn’t think she’s pretty! ??? So proud of this girl! Baby number two is graduating from high school this coming Saturday… Where has the time gone? She has definitely been our “wild card” from the very beginning! So full of energy and always ready to help wherever it is needed. She is ambitious and fun and has an amazing heart! We know she will be successful in anything she does. What a gift she has been to our family! #proud #beautiful #strong #loveofmylife #blessed #loved #congratulations #graduation #bestfriendsforever #modelmaterial
Happy Monday friends! I know I haven’t posted anything for quite some time but as I sit here this evening I feel it’s time to share a bit more of what has been happening for the last few months. Most of you don’t know this but for the last 11 months I have been slowly learning the technical side of my family’s business. For the past 43 years my parents have invested their blood sweat and tears making our family business such a huge success. (@globefootwearltd ) I am privileged and honoured to be able to carry that on for them. 11 months ago I took a leap of faith and left everything I was comfortable with to come and carry on our family heritage. Our children were brave enough to leave their friends and their school in order to support their mom in keeping the family heritage alive. Today I am proud to say that while I still have much to learn, I am happy that we took that leap. It truly is an amazing journey and a hard (at times challenging) one at that… But with God’s grace and strength we will carry through for continued success! God is good! I’m still loving furniture makeovers and when I can, I still enjoy DIY and sharing what I make… But for now… I have to take a step back from that part of my life and focus on what is before me. I hope you will stay, and follow along in my journey. We have a new home where we are and are wanting to put our style mark on it… I know there are a few stencilling projects in our future ;-) I will share more with you soon. You can follow along on my business journey too at @globefootwearltd ❤️😊 #newlife #newfriends #newbusiness #newadventures #shoestore #familybusiness #heritage #myheritage #godisgood #strengh #godsgrace #globefootwearltd