Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

March 23, 2016 by Terry

To start I just want to say I am not being compensated in any way for writing about this hotel, I just wanted to share a bit of history attached to my latest find.

The Banff Springs Hotel is one of the most luxurious hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.  It is absolutely stunning in architecture and design!

It first opened to the public back in 1888 and since then has had many renovations done to it.  Between 1902 and 1928 many more renovations and additions were made to this grand railway hotel. (To read more about this beautiful resort click here)

Fairmont-Banff-Springs-Hotel

I acquired this beautiful mirror through a friend of mine who is an antique vendor.  She was kind enough to let me have it for a bit of trading of recent finds of mine and an additional cash amount. What a beautiful piece!  It was purchased some time ago from an auction and is said to come from the Banff Springs Hotel after some of the many renovations.

I would love to have seen where this was hung!

It is sooooo solid and sooooooo heavy!  It has gorgeous patina on the mirror as well but not so much that you couldn’t still use it.  There is a tiny bit of damage on the gold leaves but nothing that doesn’t add character to it.

It is so grand!  I have placed it on my buffet for now but it too will be going up for sale soon.  This is another piece that if it doesn’t sell, I won’t be heartbroken ;)

There is gold showing underneath the black lacquer of the frame so I wonder if it was originally all gold at one time.  It is solid wood on the back cover with writing but it is not legible.

If I end up keeping it, I think I may try to remove the black … not entirely sure though. (certainly a delicate task!)

If it doesn’t sell I am going to have to get rid of something in trade … ugh, but what?  I love everything!

The All Things Pretty Market is coming up soon.  You can find out about getting tickets for it HERE.

a329f9ce-cbe4-48a3-92a2-7b87f3505675

Have a great day!

P.S.

Making Broken Beautiful Starts tomorrow!  Come share your inspiring home decor ideas and furniture makeovers!

See you there!

cropped-15.jpg

Sharing this mirror at:

Reinvented Collection

10 thoughts on “Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

1. Stephanie Black says:

Hey Terrry,

Can you please give me a call I would like to e-transfer you the money for the chair.
    Thanks. 403-227-3391 ext 1397

2. Gosh that will be hard to part with.

It really is! …I think I have a “problem” with finding things to sell and then keeping them ;) … we’ll see about this one… I hope you have a great Easter weekend!

3. Oooooooo, that looks like an aMAZing hotel to stay–lucky you to have had the opportunity!
    Even if the mirror isn’t from that hotel, it’s SO cool–I’d keep it! OR, you could pass it on to moi!!!

It really is an amazing place to stay. They treat you like royalty! Still toying with the keep it or not part! I hope you have a great Easter weekend! Smiles!

4. Dreamy! Whatever you paid it was worth it to have some of that amazing hotel in your home. Not only do I too wonder where it hung but also Who looked in it?
    And btw did you do your ceiling with the shiplap? or was it there…

You should see the mirror now…. I fixed it up with the “terry touch” ;) The ceiling was like that when we moved in but it was in an orangish stain that was super yucky. You just reminded me that I have yet to paint it white to match the rest of the room ;)
      Happy Tuesday!

5. […] Not too long ago I posted about my Antique Banff Springs Hotel Mirror. […]

6. Nikki Gwin says:

Oh dear dear dear! That whole “I love everything” syndrome has a hold of me too.

Nikki you are toooooooo sweet! Thank you for the compliments! I am popping over to check you out right now! ;) I hope you have a great week!

I sewed these custom slipcovers for a favourite client last May and completely forgot to share the love seat!  Came across these pictures while browsing through my old photos. Swipe to see the back and the matching chairs :-) #slipcover #thecuratorscollection #custom #loveseat #wingback #interiordesign #farmhousestyle Once upon a time when this.... turned into this!  #cheerful #beforeandafter #makeover #fatpaint #upholstery #thecuratorscollection #embroidered #antique Brothaaazzz.... !
My little Warhawks 🏈 #football #brothers #twins #helmuthair #winninglosers #handsomeboys  Happy Saturday! For all my friends who are wondering how we are settling into our new home… It is certainly coming along! We have been warmly welcomed in our new community but our hearts are also still invested in our old one!  We miss you all! … Any recommendations for a throw rug for our new living room?  Looking for the perfect one :-) any suggestions are welcomed! #newhome #settlingin #newcomers #throwrug #newdesign #newdigs #gettingthere #interiordesign Think I'm being judged on my patchwork on the walls… not sure exactly what is happening in this photo but… It's a typical Foster family evening indeed!😂😂#thecuratorscollection #judged #whatshappening #wierd #catsofinstagram #movingnight #kittyshenanigans #hmmmm Mixed emotions tonite... after 10 years in this house our family is moving on to a new chapter... this is our last night here in this home and this town. We are moving on into a brand new adventure! I will share more about what that adventure entails soon :-). I want all of my very close friends to know how much you mean to me and how much your support means to me.  This is not goodbye… It is just see you later ;-) love and hugs! 💕#newadventures #moving #stress #excited #newlife #thecuratorscollection #torn #missyou #lastday#movingon