Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

March 23, 2016 by Terry

To start I just want to say I am not being compensated in any way for writing about this hotel, I just wanted to share a bit of history attached to my latest find.

The Banff Springs Hotel is one of the most luxurious hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.  It is absolutely stunning in architecture and design!

It first opened to the public back in 1888 and since then has had many renovations done to it.  Between 1902 and 1928 many more renovations and additions were made to this grand railway hotel. (To read more about this beautiful resort click here)

Fairmont-Banff-Springs-Hotel

I acquired this beautiful mirror through a friend of mine who is an antique vendor.  She was kind enough to let me have it for a bit of trading of recent finds of mine and an additional cash amount. What a beautiful piece!  It was purchased some time ago from an auction and is said to come from the Banff Springs Hotel after some of the many renovations.

I would love to have seen where this was hung!

It is sooooo solid and sooooooo heavy!  It has gorgeous patina on the mirror as well but not so much that you couldn’t still use it.  There is a tiny bit of damage on the gold leaves but nothing that doesn’t add character to it.

It is so grand!  I have placed it on my buffet for now but it too will be going up for sale soon.  This is another piece that if it doesn’t sell, I won’t be heartbroken ;)

There is gold showing underneath the black lacquer of the frame so I wonder if it was originally all gold at one time.  It is solid wood on the back cover with writing but it is not legible.

If I end up keeping it, I think I may try to remove the black … not entirely sure though. (certainly a delicate task!)

If it doesn’t sell I am going to have to get rid of something in trade … ugh, but what?  I love everything!

The All Things Pretty Market is coming up soon.  You can find out about getting tickets for it HERE.

a329f9ce-cbe4-48a3-92a2-7b87f3505675

Have a great day!

P.S.

Making Broken Beautiful Starts tomorrow!  Come share your inspiring home decor ideas and furniture makeovers!

See you there!

cropped-15.jpg

Sharing this mirror at:

Reinvented Collection

10 thoughts on “Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

1. Stephanie Black says:

Hey Terrry,

Can you please give me a call I would like to e-transfer you the money for the chair.
    Thanks. 403-227-3391 ext 1397

2. Gosh that will be hard to part with.

It really is! …I think I have a “problem” with finding things to sell and then keeping them ;) … we’ll see about this one… I hope you have a great Easter weekend!

3. Oooooooo, that looks like an aMAZing hotel to stay–lucky you to have had the opportunity!
    Even if the mirror isn’t from that hotel, it’s SO cool–I’d keep it! OR, you could pass it on to moi!!!

It really is an amazing place to stay. They treat you like royalty! Still toying with the keep it or not part! I hope you have a great Easter weekend! Smiles!

4. Dreamy! Whatever you paid it was worth it to have some of that amazing hotel in your home. Not only do I too wonder where it hung but also Who looked in it?
    And btw did you do your ceiling with the shiplap? or was it there…

You should see the mirror now…. I fixed it up with the “terry touch” ;) The ceiling was like that when we moved in but it was in an orangish stain that was super yucky. You just reminded me that I have yet to paint it white to match the rest of the room ;)
      Happy Tuesday!

5. […] Not too long ago I posted about my Antique Banff Springs Hotel Mirror. […]

6. Nikki Gwin says:

Oh dear dear dear! That whole “I love everything” syndrome has a hold of me too.

Nikki you are toooooooo sweet! Thank you for the compliments! I am popping over to check you out right now! ;) I hope you have a great week!

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

The other day I let my daughter drive us home after being away. I was absolutely exhausted from life in general. This was the view from my passenger window... a beautiful reminder to slow down and listen to God’s whispers... He’s got this. #listentothewhispers #godsgotthis #bestillandknow #thatstillsmallvoice #heismystrength
So proud of these girls! Congratulations Haileybear and Brittany! #sweetsuccess #allgrownup #newchapter #bestfriends #graduation #thecuratorscollection #soproudofyou
And just like that it is done! What it beautiful day we had celebrating our baby girl! #graduation #beautifulday #notredamehighschool #growinguptoofast #loveher
cap and gown 🎓 ceremony done... now onto the good stuff!!! THE DRESS! 🙌🏻👏🏻🎓 .... can’t wait to see my beautiful girl in her dress! 💝 #graduation #babygirl #allgrownup #soproud #beautiful #loveher
... and she doesn’t think she’s pretty! ??? So proud of this girl! Baby number two is graduating from high school this coming Saturday… Where has the time gone? She has definitely been our “wild card” from the very beginning! So full of energy and always ready to help wherever it is needed. She is ambitious and fun and has an amazing heart! We know she will be successful in anything she does. What a gift she has been to our family! #proud #beautiful #strong #loveofmylife #blessed #loved #congratulations #graduation #bestfriendsforever #modelmaterial
Happy Monday friends! I know I haven’t posted anything for quite some time but as I sit here this evening I feel it’s time to share a bit more of what has been happening for the last few months. Most of you don’t know this but for the last 11 months I have been slowly learning the technical side of my family’s business. For the past 43 years my parents have invested their blood sweat and tears making our family business such a huge success. (@globefootwearltd ) I am privileged and honoured to be able to carry that on for them. 11 months ago I took a leap of faith and left everything I was comfortable with to come and carry on our family heritage. Our children were brave enough to leave their friends and their school in order to support their mom in keeping the family heritage alive. Today I am proud to say that while I still have much to learn, I am happy that we took that leap. It truly is an amazing journey and a hard (at times challenging) one at that… But with God’s grace and strength we will carry through for continued success! God is good! I’m still loving furniture makeovers and when I can, I still enjoy DIY and sharing what I make… But for now… I have to take a step back from that part of my life and focus on what is before me. I hope you will stay, and follow along in my journey. We have a new home where we are and are wanting to put our style mark on it… I know there are a few stencilling projects in our future ;-) I will share more with you soon. You can follow along on my business journey too at @globefootwearltd ❤️😊 #newlife #newfriends #newbusiness #newadventures #shoestore #familybusiness #heritage #myheritage #godisgood #strengh #godsgrace #globefootwearltd