Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

March 23, 2016 by Terry

To start I just want to say I am not being compensated in any way for writing about this hotel, I just wanted to share a bit of history attached to my latest find.

The Banff Springs Hotel is one of the most luxurious hotels I have ever had the pleasure of staying in.  It is absolutely stunning in architecture and design!

It first opened to the public back in 1888 and since then has had many renovations done to it.  Between 1902 and 1928 many more renovations and additions were made to this grand railway hotel. (To read more about this beautiful resort click here)

Fairmont-Banff-Springs-Hotel

I acquired this beautiful mirror through a friend of mine who is an antique vendor.  She was kind enough to let me have it for a bit of trading of recent finds of mine and an additional cash amount. What a beautiful piece!  It was purchased some time ago from an auction and is said to come from the Banff Springs Hotel after some of the many renovations.

I would love to have seen where this was hung!

It is sooooo solid and sooooooo heavy!  It has gorgeous patina on the mirror as well but not so much that you couldn’t still use it.  There is a tiny bit of damage on the gold leaves but nothing that doesn’t add character to it.

It is so grand!  I have placed it on my buffet for now but it too will be going up for sale soon.  This is another piece that if it doesn’t sell, I won’t be heartbroken ;)

There is gold showing underneath the black lacquer of the frame so I wonder if it was originally all gold at one time.  It is solid wood on the back cover with writing but it is not legible.

If I end up keeping it, I think I may try to remove the black … not entirely sure though. (certainly a delicate task!)

If it doesn’t sell I am going to have to get rid of something in trade … ugh, but what?  I love everything!

The All Things Pretty Market is coming up soon.  You can find out about getting tickets for it HERE.

a329f9ce-cbe4-48a3-92a2-7b87f3505675

Have a great day!

P.S.

Making Broken Beautiful Starts tomorrow!  Come share your inspiring home decor ideas and furniture makeovers!

See you there!

cropped-15.jpg

Sharing this mirror at:

Reinvented Collection

10 thoughts on “Antique Ornate Banff Springs Hotel Mirror

1. Stephanie Black says:

Hey Terrry,

Can you please give me a call I would like to e-transfer you the money for the chair.
    Thanks. 403-227-3391 ext 1397

2. Gosh that will be hard to part with.

It really is! …I think I have a “problem” with finding things to sell and then keeping them ;) … we’ll see about this one… I hope you have a great Easter weekend!

3. Oooooooo, that looks like an aMAZing hotel to stay–lucky you to have had the opportunity!
    Even if the mirror isn’t from that hotel, it’s SO cool–I’d keep it! OR, you could pass it on to moi!!!

It really is an amazing place to stay. They treat you like royalty! Still toying with the keep it or not part! I hope you have a great Easter weekend! Smiles!

4. Dreamy! Whatever you paid it was worth it to have some of that amazing hotel in your home. Not only do I too wonder where it hung but also Who looked in it?
    And btw did you do your ceiling with the shiplap? or was it there…

You should see the mirror now…. I fixed it up with the “terry touch” ;) The ceiling was like that when we moved in but it was in an orangish stain that was super yucky. You just reminded me that I have yet to paint it white to match the rest of the room ;)
      Happy Tuesday!

5. […] Not too long ago I posted about my Antique Banff Springs Hotel Mirror. […]

6. Nikki Gwin says:

Oh dear dear dear! That whole “I love everything” syndrome has a hold of me too.

Nikki you are toooooooo sweet! Thank you for the compliments! I am popping over to check you out right now! ;) I hope you have a great week!

Thank you so much Larissa @prodigalpieces for tagging me in today's #trashure fun!  I don't know that this French chair was trash to begin with but it certainly did make its way into being a treasure indeed! This is my most recent makeover!💕#makeover #beautiful #statementpiece #upholstery #frenchchair There are 2 sides to everything and in this makeover too!  Velvety glam on the front and a modern statement in peacock feathers hugging the back!  Soooo pretty! 💕💕#thecuratorscollection #obsessed #sofine #soglam #feathers #velvet #statementpiece #beautiful #makeover #upholstery I am obsessed!! These (there are 2!) might just be the most luxurious chairs I have ever re upholstered! Gorgeous metallics mixed with luxurious fine velvets!  Wait till you see the backside of these chairs!  They will be delivered to their home tomorrow morning!  Can't wait!! #luxury #glamglow #makeover #upholstered #stunning #thecuratorscollection #soglam #sofine #obsessed Okay... here's a peek at the "during" of these two sweet chairs. They were  my client's Nana's chairs and it is my hope that Nana would be pleased with this makeover. #nanaschair #thecuratorscollection #makeover #upholstered #velvet #newlook #soglam #metallic So this is what has been keeping me busy these days... actually there are 2 of them! Without giving away what they look like now I thought I would share what the choices for fabric were first. My client chose the print for the backside and the velvet for the front side with exquisite soft pink velvet for the welting and the arms. I also gave the orange looking wood a glamorous look with some warm silver metallic paint. I hope to share with you soon! I don't want to share the reveal before the owner has had a chance to see them :). #thecuratorscollection #upholstered #makeover #velvet #soglam #mynanas Soooooo this is my current situation.... I'm on sewing machine number three in 2 days and a deadline nearing the end in 4 days! 😬 I SWEAR ITS NOT ME! Lol... hubby is trying to fix mine after bringing me home one from one of his co-worker's wife's ... how sweet is he? 💕huge shout out of gratitude to Mrs. Schafer for helping me in a pinch! 😘🌷#stressfulday #sewing #upholstery #deadlines #sweetpeople #thankyou #gratitude