Never Overlook Anything! | Antique Footboard Coat Rack

March 30, 2016 by Terry

I found this footboard to an antique bed a few months ago.  There was no headboard to match but I thought it was so pretty, I couldn’t leave it at the store.  I knew it would make a beautiful coat rack or towel rack.  I do have photos of it before and during the makeover but since it has been forever since I took them, I don’t know what I filed them under (eek!) !

Anyways, it was brown.

I mixed up my own color in a soft grey using trophy and linen (miss mustard seed milk paint) and painted the whole piece.  Then I highlighted all the details with just linen.  I sanded it all smooth and finished it with hemp oil.  I decided against wax just incase it would be hung in a humid bathroom.  I would think that the oiled finish helps resist humidity.

It turned out so pretty!

I used some wrought iron Fish styled hooks … ha ha ‘fish hooks’ ! Sorry … couldn’t resist!

I Love the pretty details on this footboard.  It is a shame that the headboard wasn’t with it, it would have made for a gorgeous bed.

This lovely piece is heading to it’s forever home today!

I hope you have a great day!

See you tomorrow for Making Broken Beautiful!  I can hardly wait to share features from last week’s party!  If you missed it you can click here to go back and check it out!

Sharing this project at:

Reinvented Collection

DIY Show Off

DIY Sunday ShowCase

Elizabeth & Co.

Lehman Lane

Seeking Lavender Lane

25 thoughts on “Never Overlook Anything! | Antique Footboard Coat Rack

1. Studio Paint Design says:

Just love that idea Terry…. you are right in that it is very pretty!
    Have a great day!
    Maxine

2. Ooooooo- cool piece! Would be great in a guest BR too!

3. thewoodspa says:

What a brilliant idea and execution!
    Love it.
    Patricia.

4. Alaina says:

I love how it turned out, the little feet are just the best. I can’t wait to start the flea market shopping this summer and I will be on the look out for some footboards for sure.

Thank you Alaina! I hope you do find one and if you do I hope you share it here on Thursdays! Thank you for taking the time to comment! I hope you have a great week!

5. That is gorgeous Terry! What a great way to re-purpose the foot board. I love, love, love it!! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful day :) Hugs, Lisa

6. Mary Vitullo says:

Great up cycling idea, Terry. You could not find a beautiful coat rack as yours in a store.

7. Shelly says:

Soooo cute!! Great idea! I would have never thought of that.
    Blessings

Thank you Shelly! I’d been looking for the perfect piece to add hooks to for a long time and this was perfect! Thank you for taking the time to comment! Have a great day!

8. It’s beautiful Terry and a great footboard repurpose! Where did you get those fabulous hooks?

Thank you Marie! I found the hooks in a gift store while out browsing where I shouldn’t ;) They really are unique and I like that they are heavy. I hope you have a great day!

9. thesummeryumbrella says:

Brilliant!! It’s that perfect combination of antique and unique! Loving this coat rack for sure :)

10. Nikki Gwin says:

I have been mulling over a makeover of my own and this post is perfect timing to help me decide! I have a decorative upper front board from an upright piano that I plan to do something similar to. I have been debating on what color to paint. This has helped me decide.

ooooooo! That’s going to be beautiful Nikki! I hope you share it here on Making Broken Beautiful when it’s done! Have a wonderful day!

11. I used wax on my bathroom vanity when I chalk painted it. You mention using hemp oil instead because of humidity. Should I worry? It’s been good but you are the chalk paint expert after all.
    And genius idea. So pretty.

I think wax would be fine for your vanity. I was just concerned about possibly getting those “white patches” that sometimes happen when waxed pieces get wet for any reason. If you haven’t had any issues yet with that sort of thing happening then I think you’re probably safe ;) I just didn’t want to have to remove it later on if it was going to do that so I used hemp oil instead. Chalk paint needs wax to seal it ot a poly or something like that. Hemp oil on chalk paint isn’t so great because it doesn’t dry and harden like wax. I don’t use oil on chalk painted pieces, just on milk paint. Hemp oil will also change the color tone of your chalk paint it’s like when you get a grease stain on a colored shirt. It stains darker. Sorry for the rant :) I hope this helps you feel better about your vanity! You chose right for the type of paint for sure! I hope you are having a great weekend!

12. lyn moon says:

I love how you repurposed this foot board into a totally different use. You did a wonderful job and it’s so unique. What a great idea. Have a great weekend.

13. […] day yesterday editing photos and building a new coat rack!  Since I sold the other one I made, (click here to view) there was a bare space that needed to be […]

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

The other day I let my daughter drive us home after being away. I was absolutely exhausted from life in general. This was the view from my passenger window... a beautiful reminder to slow down and listen to God’s whispers... He’s got this. #listentothewhispers #godsgotthis #bestillandknow #thatstillsmallvoice #heismystrength
So proud of these girls! Congratulations Haileybear and Brittany! #sweetsuccess #allgrownup #newchapter #bestfriends #graduation #thecuratorscollection #soproudofyou
And just like that it is done! What it beautiful day we had celebrating our baby girl! #graduation #beautifulday #notredamehighschool #growinguptoofast #loveher
cap and gown 🎓 ceremony done... now onto the good stuff!!! THE DRESS! 🙌🏻👏🏻🎓 .... can’t wait to see my beautiful girl in her dress! 💝 #graduation #babygirl #allgrownup #soproud #beautiful #loveher
... and she doesn’t think she’s pretty! ??? So proud of this girl! Baby number two is graduating from high school this coming Saturday… Where has the time gone? She has definitely been our “wild card” from the very beginning! So full of energy and always ready to help wherever it is needed. She is ambitious and fun and has an amazing heart! We know she will be successful in anything she does. What a gift she has been to our family! #proud #beautiful #strong #loveofmylife #blessed #loved #congratulations #graduation #bestfriendsforever #modelmaterial
Happy Monday friends! I know I haven’t posted anything for quite some time but as I sit here this evening I feel it’s time to share a bit more of what has been happening for the last few months. Most of you don’t know this but for the last 11 months I have been slowly learning the technical side of my family’s business. For the past 43 years my parents have invested their blood sweat and tears making our family business such a huge success. (@globefootwearltd ) I am privileged and honoured to be able to carry that on for them. 11 months ago I took a leap of faith and left everything I was comfortable with to come and carry on our family heritage. Our children were brave enough to leave their friends and their school in order to support their mom in keeping the family heritage alive. Today I am proud to say that while I still have much to learn, I am happy that we took that leap. It truly is an amazing journey and a hard (at times challenging) one at that… But with God’s grace and strength we will carry through for continued success! God is good! I’m still loving furniture makeovers and when I can, I still enjoy DIY and sharing what I make… But for now… I have to take a step back from that part of my life and focus on what is before me. I hope you will stay, and follow along in my journey. We have a new home where we are and are wanting to put our style mark on it… I know there are a few stencilling projects in our future ;-) I will share more with you soon. You can follow along on my business journey too at @globefootwearltd ❤️😊 #newlife #newfriends #newbusiness #newadventures #shoestore #familybusiness #heritage #myheritage #godisgood #strengh #godsgrace #globefootwearltd