Grainsack, Verdigris & 18th Century Tin | Apothecary Redo

October 31, 2016 by Terry

apothecary-cabinet5

I had purchased a set of two apothecary style cabinets back in May.  One I had made over with FAT paint and early 18th century tin that I had found at an architectural salvage yard.

I ended up selling it before I could take proper pictures of it but here is a peek at what it looked like.

IMG_2392

To be honest … I have seller’s remorse over it.  The tin on it was amazing and had that perfectly rusty patina with original chippy paint on it.  I think the rust complimented the green colour and well… it was just plain cool!

This is how it looked before.  It looks great on the photos but in reality it had many scratches and the glass was cracked.IMG_2390

Now after that one had sold I decided to to make the other one using tin as well but in a different colour.

I no longer had that pattern of tin but I had some of the same vintage I could use.

apothecary-cabinet3

This tin wasn’t as unique as the other cabinet but it too had rusty pretty patina on it.  I did end up sanding it smooth just to help clean it up some.

img_1140

On this cabinet I had to create the door that holds the tin as I broke the original when I was sanding it to prep it for paint.  I think it turned out pretty good in the end.

The exterior of the cabinet was painted in Miss Mustard Seed’s Milk paint in the colour Grainsack followed by a light sanding and coat of clear wax.  I then went over it lightly with a touch of dark wax to “dirty” it up a little and help it to match the age of the tin.

apothecary-cabinet4

I also added new hardware to the lower cabinet door.  No, those aren’t drawers below it is just a cabinet door.

The inside of the cabinet is set up for adjustable shelving and I thought a pop of colour on the inside may be a nice touch to an already unique little piece.  I painted the inside using FAT paint in the colour Verdigris followed by a coat of clear wax.  I absolutely love this colour!

apothecary-cabinet1

How sweet is this little cabinet?  I have it displayed with a few dishes in it but really it could be used anywhere.  Imagine it in a bathroom with towels and extra TP or other toiletries in it.  It would also sit nicely in a front entryway and house baskets of mittens or scarves.  It is the perfect sized piece for small spaces because of it’s low profile.

Both cabinets turned out awesome and it’s amazing what a change of colour can do to the same piece.

apothecary-cabinet2

apothecary-cabinet5

This cabinet will be coming with me on November 13th to The Little Deer Market if you are interested in giving it a forever home! ;)

apothecary-cabinet4

I hope you have an amazing week!

22 thoughts on “Grainsack, Verdigris & 18th Century Tin | Apothecary Redo

1. Mary says:

I absolutely love it! Adding the tin really makes this piece unique. What a great transformation, Terry.

2. It turned out beautiful! I can see why you would miss it. ;)

3. Joanne says:

Did you say the cabinet is gone?

4. I was commenting about your Apothecary Redo…not sure if i commented in the right place! Haha! Sorry if I messed that up!

Love that Verdigris color, so pretty!

6. Shelly Powell says:

I love that second cabinet! I would have to keep that one for sure! You are such a good furniture whisper! :-D
    Blessings

7. Oh how lovely is this, Terry! The inside is as pretty as the exterior! Swooning over the tin and how you turned the cupboard door into an apothecary style look. Very nice and I have no doubt that it will sell at the market.

8. Another beautiful makeover Terry! I loove the tin!! I recently found a salvage yard near Ottawa and have been finding some amazing wood there. I will have to check it out for tin next time I am there. Have a lovely week.

9. The cabinet is so lovely. I love the addition of the tin and the coordinating color on the inside.

Oh Terry! I love it! The rusted vintage tin is to die for. The colors you chose are perfect. I love it alll!
    ❤️Cheryl

11. Judy Walters says:

This is very unique and heartfelt. Your design is soft & collectible. Lovely!
    Judy from The House of van Gogh

12. cragg.house says:

You’re a gifted designer! Love this post

13. How on earth are you getting better and better when you were already genius??

Seriously… is my husband paying you? Ha ha! I will now wear the biggest grin on my face for the rest of the year because I’ma “genius” lol! Thank you!

Waiting on spring! Tired of the snow and craving some green so I guess I'll create my own! It's spring here in "Terryland"! 🌱🌸#thecuratorscollection #makeitgreen #springtime #grass #tiredofwaiting #goodbyewinter Because who doesn't love a dramatic before and after! This vintage cabinet had a bleak future... until it came home with me that is 😉. #vintage #trashtotreasure #thecuratorscollection #fatpaint #paintedfurniture #makeover #vintagelove This once ugly duckling dressed in sun bleached blue velvet, was transformed with milk paint and new fabric! Ugly duckling no more! #settee #barrelback #milkpaint #painted #thecuratorscollection #trashtotreasure #upholstery #missmustardseedmilkpaint I found the hardware before I found the piece to put them on.  They were too cute to pass up! Perfect for this colour blocked vintage chest of drawers that I'm pretty sure came out of an old hotel. #chalkpaint #vintage #thecuratorscollection #vintagelighting #painted #paintedfurniture #trashtotreasure A little chippy inspiration to start the day! These gorgeous chairs were my first case of sellers remorse 😢 on the upside ... there is always something new coming behind every piece that leaves 😊 #thecuratorscollection #painted #furniture #antique #missmustardseedmilkpaint #missmustardseed #chippy #chippypaint Looking back today ... Love this transformation from drawers to doors topped off with a new dress in Amber Waves of Grain and antiquing wax. One of my favourite makeovers! 💕 #americanchalkpaintcompany #acp #amberwavesofgrain #furniture #makeover #painted #thecuratorscollection #favorite