February 28, 2015 by Terry
I acquired this beautiful 1920’s china cabinet a little over a year ago now. It was part of an entire dining set I purchased. There was a table, 6 matching chairs, a sideboard and this beautiful hutch! What a fantastic find!
Both pieces are beautiful and look great in photos but the top on the buffet has so much damage and the china cabinet has some of the wood design missing on the door along with many deep nicks and scratches.
After spotting an early 1800’s piece at an antique shop in a town close by, I decided that I would try to sell this one. To be honest … my husband told me that in order to have the 1800’s piece, I would have to trade in this one as we just didn’t have the room for both. I have to say that while I love this piece … I’m in love with the 1800’s piece! I wish I had a photo of it. It is so grand in size … beautiful but simple.
I took this one to my booth to sell but in the condition it was in and all the fixing up it would need it just wasn’t selling. Because I cannot get the 1800’s piece until this one sells, I decided that I would have to do the fixing on this one.
So I brought it home and gave it a new makeover with Milk paint and hemp oil and a lot of elbow grease! It’s even prettier now than it already was!
I gave the piece 2 coats of Typewriter Milk Paint from the Miss Mustard Seed milk paint line. I didn’t want it chippy so I added the bonding agent to it after mixing it up so it would grab onto the shiny finish. I also gave it a quick sanding on the areas I planned to paint.
This piece has so much pretty detail and I didn’t want to cover it all up with paint so I decided to keep much of it in the original finish. The color combination of the milk paint and the original finish compliment each other while also bringing out the original detail more.
You will also notice that the wood decal from the door is gone. It was too frail to make it work and actually I like it better without as I felt it made the piece look too busy. Now it looks fancy yet simple and crisp with the black framing it’s face.
I left the inside natural as well and went over it with fine grit sandpaper and some oil. The milk paint was sealed with Hemp oil.
I have taken this piece back to my booth all beautified and fixed so now it should definitely be able to find it’s new forever home :)
Linking up to: