March 11, 2015 by Terry
Ever wonder what an early 1900’s piece is made up of?
This piece has so much potential, but to uncover that potential is no easy task!
There are so many different layers that make up this piece. Way back when this piece was originally created it took many hours and innovation to put together. All by hand… every stitch and every nail.
It took me a long time to deconstruct it, removing every stitch and every nail… I can only imagine how long it took to make it. And the quality… VERY high end … it was so well put together I ran into a few snags to take it apart, right down to it’s bare bones.
Originally I thought that I would remove the fabric, repair the springs and be able to use most of what was already there. Wrong! Once the fabric was removed I realized how dry and fragile the insides were. Crumbling to dust when touched in some places.
The smell was too much as well. Very musty and dusty with that old “sweet” smell… yet not a good sweet. It’s difficult to describe but all I know is that it just couldn’t be made to go away simply by covering it up with fabric.
The springs were another problem …
I love the way the construction says so much about the time it was built in. The resources available … the craftsmanship. I have to say, I learned a lot in just taking it apart.
So sad that it has to be thrown out because of smell and decay.
I can’t wait to share more on the progress soon!
I hope you’re having a great week!
Linking up to: