Curio & Kitchen Scale | Milk Painted Wooden Tote

October 19, 2015 by Terry

I love anything wood.  Old, dry, imperfect wood.

It seems that lately I’m going through a wooden tote phase.  I have been on the look out for just the right one, not too big, not too narrow…  Something large enough to hold plates and cutlery etc. but not too big that it takes up the entire table.

I have purchased a few thinking they may work but when I get them home, I’m not loving them for what I want to use it for. (still love them though!)

6So … Since I can’t seem to find just the right one, I decided to try and make my own out of wood scraps I had in the garage.

One day while waiting for paint to dry on another project, I decided to throw one together … literally!

I had no real plan, just eyeballed the ones I had already purchased and away I went.

Maybe that’s why it turned out so perfect!  It’s as though a real farmer threw this together to haul around tools, not caring if it was perfect as long a it did the job.

So too is this one and being that it was just an experiment … it turned out pretty great!

9I have to say that for having no plan whatsoever … I am quite pleased.

I used all types of wood.  Pine, cedar and thin plywood.  After I nailed it all together I went over it with a coat of watered down MMS Milk Paint in Curio.  It acted more like stain and gave the wood an aged brown look.  I didn’t worry about being neat, just slopped it on.

Next I mixed up more MMS Milk Paint in Kitchen Scale and lightly brushed that over the entire outside of the box making sure my brushstrokes were light and going the same direction.

5Then when it dried I sanded it all lightly with 220 grit sandpaper.

I added vintage handles after an attempted fail at making a dowel handle, hence the hole under the cup handle.

Then I printed off some random words I typed in cool fonts off of my computer.  I cut them out and scribbled on the backside of each word with white chalk.  Then I placed the words on the crate and traced the letters.  This transferred white chalk onto the box which I then filled in with Typewriter Milk Paint. (sorry I do not have any pics of this process as I didn’t think I was even going to share this one with you :0)  )

1After the wording dried I went over the whole piece again with 220 grit sandpaper to soften the look of it and give it a bit more of a worn out look.

I think I may have to make a few more of these sweet totes …  maybe a few to share with my faithful readers!

I hope you are having a great day!  Off to have some of that coffee now!

Pink When

The Crowned Goat

21 Rosemary Lane

Stone Gable

Seeking Lavender Lane

Dream Create Inspire

DIY Show Off

I should Be Mopping The Floor

Elizabeth & Co.

12 thoughts on “Curio & Kitchen Scale | Milk Painted Wooden Tote

1. Entri WP says:

Love this. I actually have one I’m working on and was wondering how I was going to achieve that aged rustic wood look. And I have those exact cast iron handles! Thank you for sharing. – Vicki @ EntriWP.com

I love using Milk Paint as a stain because you can still see the wood grain and it goes on sort of random when it is watered down. Curio gives the perfect “dirtied” look! Thank you for taking the time to comment! Hope you have a great week!

2. Tone says:

Wow Terry! That looks amazing! Great job! I love wooden totes. In fact, I love EVERYTHING wood. The older, the bether:) I might have to borrow this idea :)

I am with you! There’s just something about old wood that sings to me! This project was really an accidental success! Would love to see the one you make when you do! Have a great week Tone!

3. manja says:

Super cool Terry!!

4. thecrownedgoat says:

Terry, this is so gorgeous! I can’t believe you just “winged it” and it came out this amazing. I am totally jealous :) Love love love! Hugs, CoCo

Thank you CoCo! I can’t believe it either to be honest! Sometimes the whimsy things turn out the best! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I hope you have a great week!

5. Respect!! Just beautiful, Terry!

6. Your wooden tote looks amazing Terry! The MMS kitchen scale color works perfectly and your dishes inside are beautiful. Love the vintage handels too. Thank you so much for sharing this @ Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. I hope you had a great weekend. Take care, Tara

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

The other day I let my daughter drive us home after being away. I was absolutely exhausted from life in general. This was the view from my passenger window... a beautiful reminder to slow down and listen to God’s whispers... He’s got this. #listentothewhispers #godsgotthis #bestillandknow #thatstillsmallvoice #heismystrength
So proud of these girls! Congratulations Haileybear and Brittany! #sweetsuccess #allgrownup #newchapter #bestfriends #graduation #thecuratorscollection #soproudofyou
And just like that it is done! What it beautiful day we had celebrating our baby girl! #graduation #beautifulday #notredamehighschool #growinguptoofast #loveher
cap and gown 🎓 ceremony done... now onto the good stuff!!! THE DRESS! 🙌🏻👏🏻🎓 .... can’t wait to see my beautiful girl in her dress! 💝 #graduation #babygirl #allgrownup #soproud #beautiful #loveher
... and she doesn’t think she’s pretty! ??? So proud of this girl! Baby number two is graduating from high school this coming Saturday… Where has the time gone? She has definitely been our “wild card” from the very beginning! So full of energy and always ready to help wherever it is needed. She is ambitious and fun and has an amazing heart! We know she will be successful in anything she does. What a gift she has been to our family! #proud #beautiful #strong #loveofmylife #blessed #loved #congratulations #graduation #bestfriendsforever #modelmaterial
Happy Monday friends! I know I haven’t posted anything for quite some time but as I sit here this evening I feel it’s time to share a bit more of what has been happening for the last few months. Most of you don’t know this but for the last 11 months I have been slowly learning the technical side of my family’s business. For the past 43 years my parents have invested their blood sweat and tears making our family business such a huge success. (@globefootwearltd ) I am privileged and honoured to be able to carry that on for them. 11 months ago I took a leap of faith and left everything I was comfortable with to come and carry on our family heritage. Our children were brave enough to leave their friends and their school in order to support their mom in keeping the family heritage alive. Today I am proud to say that while I still have much to learn, I am happy that we took that leap. It truly is an amazing journey and a hard (at times challenging) one at that… But with God’s grace and strength we will carry through for continued success! God is good! I’m still loving furniture makeovers and when I can, I still enjoy DIY and sharing what I make… But for now… I have to take a step back from that part of my life and focus on what is before me. I hope you will stay, and follow along in my journey. We have a new home where we are and are wanting to put our style mark on it… I know there are a few stencilling projects in our future ;-) I will share more with you soon. You can follow along on my business journey too at @globefootwearltd ❤️😊 #newlife #newfriends #newbusiness #newadventures #shoestore #familybusiness #heritage #myheritage #godisgood #strengh #godsgrace #globefootwearltd