Curio & Kitchen Scale | Milk Painted Wooden Tote

October 19, 2015 by Terry

I love anything wood.  Old, dry, imperfect wood.

It seems that lately I’m going through a wooden tote phase.  I have been on the look out for just the right one, not too big, not too narrow…  Something large enough to hold plates and cutlery etc. but not too big that it takes up the entire table.

I have purchased a few thinking they may work but when I get them home, I’m not loving them for what I want to use it for. (still love them though!)

6So … Since I can’t seem to find just the right one, I decided to try and make my own out of wood scraps I had in the garage.

One day while waiting for paint to dry on another project, I decided to throw one together … literally!

I had no real plan, just eyeballed the ones I had already purchased and away I went.

Maybe that’s why it turned out so perfect!  It’s as though a real farmer threw this together to haul around tools, not caring if it was perfect as long a it did the job.

So too is this one and being that it was just an experiment … it turned out pretty great!

9I have to say that for having no plan whatsoever … I am quite pleased.

I used all types of wood.  Pine, cedar and thin plywood.  After I nailed it all together I went over it with a coat of watered down MMS Milk Paint in Curio.  It acted more like stain and gave the wood an aged brown look.  I didn’t worry about being neat, just slopped it on.

Next I mixed up more MMS Milk Paint in Kitchen Scale and lightly brushed that over the entire outside of the box making sure my brushstrokes were light and going the same direction.

5Then when it dried I sanded it all lightly with 220 grit sandpaper.

I added vintage handles after an attempted fail at making a dowel handle, hence the hole under the cup handle.

Then I printed off some random words I typed in cool fonts off of my computer.  I cut them out and scribbled on the backside of each word with white chalk.  Then I placed the words on the crate and traced the letters.  This transferred white chalk onto the box which I then filled in with Typewriter Milk Paint. (sorry I do not have any pics of this process as I didn’t think I was even going to share this one with you :0)  )

1After the wording dried I went over the whole piece again with 220 grit sandpaper to soften the look of it and give it a bit more of a worn out look.

I think I may have to make a few more of these sweet totes …  maybe a few to share with my faithful readers!

I hope you are having a great day!  Off to have some of that coffee now!

Pink When

The Crowned Goat

21 Rosemary Lane

Stone Gable

Seeking Lavender Lane

Dream Create Inspire

DIY Show Off

I should Be Mopping The Floor

Elizabeth & Co.

12 thoughts on “Curio & Kitchen Scale | Milk Painted Wooden Tote

1. Entri WP says:

Love this. I actually have one I’m working on and was wondering how I was going to achieve that aged rustic wood look. And I have those exact cast iron handles! Thank you for sharing. – Vicki @ EntriWP.com

I love using Milk Paint as a stain because you can still see the wood grain and it goes on sort of random when it is watered down. Curio gives the perfect “dirtied” look! Thank you for taking the time to comment! Hope you have a great week!

2. Tone says:

Wow Terry! That looks amazing! Great job! I love wooden totes. In fact, I love EVERYTHING wood. The older, the bether:) I might have to borrow this idea :)

I am with you! There’s just something about old wood that sings to me! This project was really an accidental success! Would love to see the one you make when you do! Have a great week Tone!

3. manja says:

Super cool Terry!!

4. thecrownedgoat says:

Terry, this is so gorgeous! I can’t believe you just “winged it” and it came out this amazing. I am totally jealous :) Love love love! Hugs, CoCo

Thank you CoCo! I can’t believe it either to be honest! Sometimes the whimsy things turn out the best! Thank you for taking the time to comment. I hope you have a great week!

5. Respect!! Just beautiful, Terry!

6. Your wooden tote looks amazing Terry! The MMS kitchen scale color works perfectly and your dishes inside are beautiful. Love the vintage handels too. Thank you so much for sharing this @ Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. I hope you had a great weekend. Take care, Tara

Thoughts on this table??? Creating a beautiful rustic outdoor dining area... this entire table is salvaged wood. The base found separately from the top and joined together to form this unique outdoor living space. Along with the chandelier we added in some beautiful patio lights on the beams creating a dreamy setting for a lovely summer evening outside.  Playing along with @prodigalpieces today #trashure #thecuratorscollection #design #outdoorliving #patio #rustic #reclaimedwood FATTABULOUS time spent today with Angie of @absolutecustomdesigns helping with a FAT PAINT workshop. Just look at those delicious colours!!! I went home with #orangeapalooza and #navystateofmind 💕💕💕 currently looking for something to paint 🙄😂.... #painted #fatpaint #thecuratorscollection #mineralpaint #fun #cantdecide Thank you @absolutecustomdesigns Angie for including me in your workshop today! I really enjoyed helping out and meeting so many wonderful ladies! FAT PAINT really is my go to chalk paint!  Love all the products from this line! 💕#fatpaint #painted #workshop #fun #palletsign #extrafat #mineralpaint #thecuratorscollection Sister shenanigans happening at the airport today while waiting for their dad's plane to take off 😂#titanic #shenanigans #goofy #silly It's been a productive day!  I had no idea what design these slip covers were going to take form of when I started but I'm loving the outcome! #sold #nomorepink #lovingtheoutcome #slipcover #customized #thecuratorscollection #designer #linen The struggle is real 😂 i'm getting a little unwanted help this morning sewing some welting.This is why it takes me so long to complete my projects! Lol #thestruggleisreal #badkitty #brat #everyday #catslife