Aliah’s Room | Completed! (well…mostly)

February 9, 2016 by Terry

Before we get to the good part, let’s see what we started out with shall we?  It wasn’t horrible … but it wasn’t good either.  She’s a creative child who was constantly crafting at her desk and painting beautiful works of art …

terry's projects 173

We have had her room arranged so many different ways, even making her closet into a nook for her bed at one time.  This didn’t last long for practical reasons.

Her room is long and narrow so it is a bit of a challenge as to how to arrange things creatively.  On the up side … it does have a large closet so she really doesn’t need much for furniture.

IMG_6366_563

Both she and I were getting tired of it being mismatched and feeling “not quite right” all the time.  The room had been the same soft yellow for the past five years and the walls were needing a freshening.

A room refresh for her was long overdue!  It was time for this room to grow up and find the pretty factor …

now …

It got a fresh coat of white paint to lighten and enlarge the space.  New ruffled curtains, Freshly painted furniture and new bedding! We recycled an old quilt and covered it with linen to make a new one.   Oh yes, don’t forget the lighting!

All the furniture got 2 coats of Fusion’s Inglenook Ocean.  I still can’t believe that one 500 ml jar went this far!

This little dresser is still waiting on hardware for the bottom drawer.  I decided that the bottom drawer should have pulls and not knobs.  It just looked awkward with knobs when I put them on.

The large empty frame is still looking for the perfect inspirational phrase to go in it.  She decided that she’d like words instead of a chalkboard or image in it.

I made 5 more pillows with more ruffles in different sizes.  The two with the crocheted lace are made out of an old bed skirt that I had.  The lace was the bottom trim of it.

The monogrammed pillow was free handed by moi using leftover Fusion paint.  After it dried I went over the painted spots with sandpaper and it’s soft now.

I added a hint of color to some with a sheer ribbon as well.

While there are a few details to still finish matching up (like that black handle on the night stand) all the big things are complete.

She is loving the feel of her new room!

As she settles back in and finds the perfect pieces to fill in the white walls a bit, I’m sure it will change.

I am currently searching for a piece of faux white fur to cover a chair to go in there as well …

I will be sharing how to make your own easy pillows soon!

Have a great day!

Sharing this lovely room at:

Seeking Lavender Lane

The Crowned Goat

Stone Gable

48 thoughts on “Aliah’s Room | Completed! (well…mostly)

Awww! I love it Terry! So sweet and feminine and grown up all at the same time! Love the ruffley, lace pillows. And the colors! Beautiful job!!! 😊

2. nudejude says:

Absolutely GORGEOUS! Your daughter must be feeling very proud of her new room.

Judi in the UK

Thank you so much Judi! I just wanted to say thank you for being such a long time faithful reader! Someday I would love to visit the UK! I hope you have a fantastic day!

3. so much better with white walls. lovely with the blue furniture.

Thank you! I agree! The yellow walls made the floor look orange and the rest of the room looked very dated and blah! Thank you for popping by and I hope you are having a great week!

4. thewoodspa says:

This is sooo pretty! I love that shade of blue. Great job.
    Patricia.

Thank you Patricia! It was a perfect choice on her part for a serene elegant room! It’s certainly a color I would use again :) I hope you have a great day!

5. repurposingjunkie says:

Terry, this room is gorgeous!! Wowza!! I love that shade of green you chose for the furniture!! The pillows are awesome!! Of course, the chandelier is lovely!! Everything in the room just flows beautifully!! Love it! Wonderful job!!

Thank you soooooo much! I hope she is inspired to keep it pretty! It all came together nicely after we got rid of the yellow walls! I hope you are having a great week!

6. Wendy Johnson says:

It is lovely, you worked well together to achieve a beautiful look.

7. I love how this turned out! It’s perfect for a little girl’s room! Love the all the ruffles going on there. I’m a big fan of ruffles.

8. tennisqueen says:

Terry, I absolutely love this room. Even though it is light and airy it also feels so warm and welcoming!

Thank you! I was worried at first that it might feel too cool but with the wood floors and other wood in the room it helps ground it. We are shopping for a throw rug too so that will help as well! Thank you for the kind words! I hope you are having a great week!

9. Shelly says:

I am 54 and I would love that wonderful room!!! Very fresh looking and I love the color you two chose! Wow is all I can say! You are so good at remaking things!
    Blessings

How sweet of you Shelly! You are so nice! I thank you for your high compliments! I hope she can keep it nice like this …somehow I see basketball socks on the furniture in the future! Ha ha! I hope you have a great week!

10. MJ says:

What a beautiful room! I love the ocean blue. What a great idea to “sand” the pillow. I don’t think I would have every came up with that one! :)

Thank you MJ! I learned that a while back when painting grain sack stripes on a chair seat. If you paint it on and sand it off the surface, then you are left with just the paint stain and it’s softer :) I hope you have a great week!

11. The room is beautiful Terry – such an elegant and peaceful space! I am swooning over those gorgeous pillows – you are one talented seamstress!

Thank you so much Marie! I’m really not a fantastic seamstress … I can just sew straight lines ;) I hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather we are having! Have a great week!

12. vanessasmodernvintagehome says:

really pretty Terry!

13. What a lovely room. The white and blue are so fresh looking and peacful.

Thank you! I’m glad we went with this color … sometimes it’s difficult to decide with all the delicious colors out there to choose from :) I hope you have a great week!

14. It makes me want to twirl! And dang it all if you aren’t good at painting too. Geeze. I do NOT blame the sisters for wanting an update too…

Ha ha! You are funny! “The Sisters” need to keep their rooms clean for a while before I invest my talents in there ;) lol! I hope you have a great weekend!

15. Such a pretty room, Terry. You did a great job, and your daughter must be thrilled. I think the pillows are my favorite thing. Take care, Cynthia

16. studiopaint says:

Terry! Wow what a beautiful room! She must be ecstatic with the transformation! It just looks so clean and fresh…. that colour by Fusion Paints is so pretty!
    Maxine :)

17. Terry, this space is so beautiful! I love how soft and serene it is. It looks like the perfect place to relax and unwind. I know your daughter must be so excited about this refreshed space. It’s stunning. Hugs, CoCo

18. Beautiful! This makeover simply brings the room into another dimension. Well done!

19. So so pretty. I love the blue and white! Thanks for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Your post has been pinned.
    Cheers,
    Jennifer

20. Cathy says:

This is beautiful. Love the soft colour and all the details.

21. […] was wanting a chair to go in Aliah’s newly madeover room.  She and I were going back and forth about her having one in there.  I wanted her to have a […]

22. Aamiene says:

What a gorgeous room! I love the colours and the pillows and the fresh feel. I also love the throw on the bed. Can you tell me what it’s made of and where I might purchase one please?

Thank you Aamiene for leaving such sweet comments! You are so nice! I made the duvet out of an old comforter that I covered in painter’s drop cloth. I washed it and dried it and bleached it a few times to soften and lighten it. Then I made a giant “pillow case”for the comforter out of the drop cloth fastening the ends to the cover and tethering it in the centre and so on… it is so soft and lovely now considering it is dropcloth! You would never know it! Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! I hope you have a great day!

23. Sheila Irwin says:

Hi Terry,

I am new to your blog and just had to hop on and say hello! I linked up to your party a couple of weeks ago, but am just now perusing your site more thoroughly, and wow, what a wonderful job you did on your daughter’s room! I am truly so impressed. Just the right amount of pretty!

I am in the midst of finishing my teen daughter’s room, as well. However, she and I have a hard time because she likes things VERY plain, and to my eye, the walls need more! haha… I do like her to design her own space, but it’s hard!!

Thanks again for hosting your weekly party. I’m planning on linking up to tomorrow’s.

Best,
    Sheila

Shelia, I am so excited that you will join in tomorrow’s party! I can’t wait to see what you bring! My daughter is very plain in her design likes as well and it is very challenging hence the discarded chair… ;) but…. the room is quite pretty on it’s own … just wanted to take it up a notch if you know what I mean… :) I hope you are having a great week so far! See you tomorrow!

24. Susie says:

Lovely!! so lovely!! Love the colors and love the character of the furniture.

Thank you so much Larissa @prodigalpieces for tagging me in today's #trashure fun!  I don't know that this French chair was trash to begin with but it certainly did make its way into being a treasure indeed! This is my most recent makeover!💕#makeover #beautiful #statementpiece #upholstery #frenchchair There are 2 sides to everything and in this makeover too!  Velvety glam on the front and a modern statement in peacock feathers hugging the back!  Soooo pretty! 💕💕#thecuratorscollection #obsessed #sofine #soglam #feathers #velvet #statementpiece #beautiful #makeover #upholstery I am obsessed!! These (there are 2!) might just be the most luxurious chairs I have ever re upholstered! Gorgeous metallics mixed with luxurious fine velvets!  Wait till you see the backside of these chairs!  They will be delivered to their home tomorrow morning!  Can't wait!! #luxury #glamglow #makeover #upholstered #stunning #thecuratorscollection #soglam #sofine #obsessed Okay... here's a peek at the "during" of these two sweet chairs. They were  my client's Nana's chairs and it is my hope that Nana would be pleased with this makeover. #nanaschair #thecuratorscollection #makeover #upholstered #velvet #newlook #soglam #metallic So this is what has been keeping me busy these days... actually there are 2 of them! Without giving away what they look like now I thought I would share what the choices for fabric were first. My client chose the print for the backside and the velvet for the front side with exquisite soft pink velvet for the welting and the arms. I also gave the orange looking wood a glamorous look with some warm silver metallic paint. I hope to share with you soon! I don't want to share the reveal before the owner has had a chance to see them :). #thecuratorscollection #upholstered #makeover #velvet #soglam #mynanas Soooooo this is my current situation.... I'm on sewing machine number three in 2 days and a deadline nearing the end in 4 days! 😬 I SWEAR ITS NOT ME! Lol... hubby is trying to fix mine after bringing me home one from one of his co-worker's wife's ... how sweet is he? 💕huge shout out of gratitude to Mrs. Schafer for helping me in a pinch! 😘🌷#stressfulday #sewing #upholstery #deadlines #sweetpeople #thankyou #gratitude