Lucketts Green & Grainsack Transfer

April 13, 2016 by Terry

I’ve had this sorry little chair in my stash for a while now.  It called to me from the curb one morning while taking the kids to school.  You can imagine the moaning and groaning of my children as I stopped to pick it up.  “No Mom!  Pleeeeeeeeze don’t stop!”  Unfortunately for them I couldn’t risk the garbage man taking it away before I could get back to it so I had to stop.

I do have a picture of it somewhere of what it looked like before but surprise, surprise I cannot remember what I filed it under.  It was literally muddy with dry mud and very rickety.  Someone must have tried their painting skills on it and then lost heart as it was partially painted with a bit of white paint.

After a cleaning and sanding followed by a light coat of Lucketts Green MMS Milk paint and a bit of distressing, this is what she looks like now.

I also upholstered the seat and added a grain sack image transfer to give it a little more character.

Outside of fixing the wobbly legs and back, this was a refreshingly simple makeover.

I have been trying to use more color in my projects lately and I have to say I’d forgotten how much I like this green.  I used clear wax to seal the paint but I bet it would look nice with a little dark wax in a few places as well.

I had planted some Cat Grass a couple of weeks ago and having the brown thumb that I do, it only made it to the third cut before I somehow killed it :(  This is one of the last times I saw it healthy.  Not sure exactly where things went bad …. but I will try again!

I hope you are having a great week so far!  I would like to invite you to join me here tomorrow for Making Broken Beautiful.

Check out last week’s party here.

Sharing this chair at:

Elizabeth & Co

16 thoughts on “Lucketts Green & Grainsack Transfer

1. Nikki Gwin says:

I love the color you chose for the chair, but that yellow cabinet takes my breath! *swoon*

Thank you Nikki! That cabinet really does steal the show doesn’t it? It’s one of my most favorite pieces! Even Miss Mustard Seed featured it on her site back when she had Furniture Friday. I think it’s a keeper! I hope you have an amazing day!

2. Very nice Terry! I could just see your kids moaning at the thought of possibly being seen by someone they know as Mom picks up trash from the side of the road. LOL When my kids were young they did the same thing. The French graphic is perfect on the fabric – did you transfer it with TAP paper?

Thank you Marie! That is the exact reason they never want me to stop with them in the car ;) Everyone ducks out of sight and covers their heads … ha ha. I don’t know what TAP paper is but this is transfer paper from Walmart that just irons on. I actually tried to do the wax paper transfer first not realizing it was a terrible idea to try and run it through a laser printer. I completely ruined the printer as the wax paper melted to the inside …. I really never considered the heat of the laser printer melting it. On the up side …got a new printer! :) I hope you have an amazing day!

3. tarahlynn says:

I love the color you chose for this little chair and the upholstery is just lovely. I have two old rockers that I refinished with stain that I’ve been dabbling with the idea of painting them something quite like this!

Oh wow! I think a rocker would look adorable in this color, especially if you let the stain show through here and there! I’d love to see them when you are done :) Happy painting! I hope you have a great day!

4. Hi Terry, Love how you changed this chair literally from trash to treasure! I really like the transfer you added to the seat! Blessings, Janet

5. thewoodspa says:

Great job. Love the fabric!

Patricia.

6. What a sweet chair. The color is lovely and I really like the upholstery.

7. This is beautiful, Terry! Love the pretty color.

8. Madeleine says:

These chairs are beautiful! Love them. How did you get the grain sack image onto seat? Is it a stencil? Thanks for the help! :)

I sewed these custom slipcovers for a favourite client last May and completely forgot to share the love seat!  Came across these pictures while browsing through my old photos. Swipe to see the back and the matching chairs :-) #slipcover #thecuratorscollection #custom #loveseat #wingback #interiordesign #farmhousestyle Once upon a time when this.... turned into this!  #cheerful #beforeandafter #makeover #fatpaint #upholstery #thecuratorscollection #embroidered #antique Brothaaazzz.... !
My little Warhawks 🏈 #football #brothers #twins #helmuthair #winninglosers #handsomeboys  Happy Saturday! For all my friends who are wondering how we are settling into our new home… It is certainly coming along! We have been warmly welcomed in our new community but our hearts are also still invested in our old one!  We miss you all! … Any recommendations for a throw rug for our new living room?  Looking for the perfect one :-) any suggestions are welcomed! #newhome #settlingin #newcomers #throwrug #newdesign #newdigs #gettingthere #interiordesign Think I'm being judged on my patchwork on the walls… not sure exactly what is happening in this photo but… It's a typical Foster family evening indeed!😂😂#thecuratorscollection #judged #whatshappening #wierd #catsofinstagram #movingnight #kittyshenanigans #hmmmm Mixed emotions tonite... after 10 years in this house our family is moving on to a new chapter... this is our last night here in this home and this town. We are moving on into a brand new adventure! I will share more about what that adventure entails soon :-). I want all of my very close friends to know how much you mean to me and how much your support means to me.  This is not goodbye… It is just see you later ;-) love and hugs! 💕#newadventures #moving #stress #excited #newlife #thecuratorscollection #torn #missyou #lastday#movingon