What’s Happening In The Garage & Sharing Some Finds

June 13, 2016 by Terry

Today I thought I’d share with you some of the changes that have been happening around here.  For quite some time now I have been wanting to create a space where I can photograph and store my pieces without having to haul them into the house and all over the place!

My dear sweet husband heard my cries and came to my rescue!  Nobody, and I mean nobody hates hauling my furniture around more than my family!  When I call … everyone scatters for fear that I am going to ask them to help me lift something!  I can’t say as I blame them though, it is tough carrying pieces from the garage up the stairs into the house.

To solve this problem I dreamed up the idea that I would like our double garage transformed into two separate areas.  One side would be my “work” side for painting and upholstering and the other side strictly for photoshoots and storing finished pieces waiting for their forever homes.  I usually have my finished items sprinkled into our decor all over the house and I am constantly worried that one of the kids will scratch or stain something. This idea solves all the worries and inconvenience of moving furniture around.

Before my hubby officially left on contract with his airtanker crew he worked long hours to build me a beautiful wall between the two spaces.  The wall will keep the dust and grossness of my workspace contained.  I now have a icky side and a pretty side in my garage!

Here’s a peek…  I hung one of my latest lighting finds in there temporarily but it looks so pretty with the rustic boards that I may just let it stay there.  I painted it from what it was before and I will share that before photo in another post

Now I have a gorgeous backdrop of rustic deliciousness to photograph my pieces against.  There is still much to do in the clean side and I haven’t decided if I will leave the walls raw or not … suggestions or opinions welcome!  The other walls will be getting a fresh coat of paint as will the ceiling and floor.  I’m very excited!

So here is the first photoshoot in this space!  Some of my recent finds (okay within the past month;) )

7This gorgeous antique piano stool needs a little loving but you rarely find them around here for under $200 and I bought this one for literally a fraction of that!

The antique drawer I found at an antique store and the frames in it were sprinkled around at different thrift stores.  I had one person ask me where I find such awesome stuff and I told her that it takes time to collect it and it doesn’t all happen at the same time for me.  It takes a lot of looking just to find one good thing.  These things were collected over a month or so but placed together in this photo they look like a pretty good haul!  It’s worth the look when you’re out and about!

The guilded frame on the wall was actually a thrifted ugly brown frame that I bought to try out gold leafing on for the first time … that’s another story … tuns out I don’t have a knack for gold leafing … or the patience!

Thank you to all who joined in Making Broken Beautiful last week.  If you missed it you can go check it out by clicking here.  Making Broken Beautiful will not be posted this week but will be resting until next week.  There are so many things happening here right now that need my attention but I will be back to party with you NEXT THURSDAY!

I hope you all have an amazing week!

21 thoughts on “What’s Happening In The Garage & Sharing Some Finds

1. I can’t wait to see larger photos of what you’ve done with your garage! I’ve been thinking of asking my husband to build me a wall on wheels so I can set it into place to take photos too. I just can’t haul furniture upstairs to photograph it either.

Thank you Vicki! I have the walls on wheels too and it is awesome for photos. I just needed a dust and paint free space as well so this works perfectly! It’s really going to save my back and my relationships with my family! lol! ;) I hope you have an amazing day!

2. Mary Vitullo says:

Terry, your words echo such familiarity. I had to laugh about how your family members all run away for fear of having to haul furniture. I get the same reaction. I think separating your garage in two is such a great idea if you have the room. Your wall looks great. Would never have suspected it was taken in a garage. Have a great day!

Thank you Mary! It’s nice to know someone else shares the same struggles! lol I also built myself a large wooden furniture dolly to transport my furniture from one side of the garage to the other. I used mismatched castors that I got from habitat for humanity restore for $.50 each! It works like a dream! I hope you have an amazing day!

I love that wall just as it is. It will make an amazing backdrop for your photos!

4. I love your space. It is so understandable that yup need a work space and a space for the final piece.

It has been a long time coming that’s for sure! My family doesn’t know what is for us and what is for sale sometimes and then they get mad when I sell something they thought was for us ;) ! Thank you for taking the time to pop by today, I hope you have a great rest of your week!

5. Karen valdez says:

I love the walls the way they are. It is a perfect backdrop. You could always hang some fabric temporarily if you wanted to change the look. I look forward to the progress.

Great idea Karen, Thank you! I love other’s perspective … simple things I never think of! I hope you have a great rest of your week!

6. How supportive of your husband to agree to give up the garage for your business space! Sounds like a fabulous arrangement and I LOVE your photo backdrop! Light pieces will just pop against it but then the dark piano stool did too with how you so beautifully created the vignette. Hoping your crazy busy week works out for the best. 💕

Thank you Marie! We tried to clean out the garage “for parking” last fall but …. well…. um … let’s just say he finally gave in! Mostly because we can’t afford a storage unit ;) lol! I hope you have an amazing week too my friend!

7. Peggy says:

I love the wall and I would not paint it at all. It is amazing! Love that stool. Can’t wait to see the rest of your work space.

Thank you Peggy! I think you’re right … not all the walls are wood so I still have some backdrop options. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I hope you have an amazing day!

8. Gorgeous finds, Terry! Love your idea to have a designated space for photos and storing finished pieces. I currently keep our finished pieces in my dining room until I have time to deliver them to our booth, and I’m always worried our 3 year old is going to draw on them or scratch them up.

Thank you Amy! I hear you about stressing over finished pieces … nothing like walking into a room to see one of the kid’s friends eating a chocolate dipped granola bar on a newly upholstered piece!! I’m calling my new garage space “the furniture protection program” lol! I hope you have a great day!

9. Haha…this is familiar story for a lot of us. Such a great idea, I would love a glimpse of your actual work space. Right now I occupy the family room and sadly the pool table is my work bench (it has a cover) on a regular basis; no sanding in there though LOL. I wish I had doors to hide it all.

LOVE the photo wall.

It can be very frustrating not to have a proper space to create! Thank goodness people like us are creative enough to make do with what we have! I hope you have an amazing day!

10. Congrats on your new space, Terry! You’ re so lucky!!

11. Brenda Stannix says:

You are an amazing artist 💓

Thank you so much Larissa @prodigalpieces for tagging me in today's #trashure fun!  I don't know that this French chair was trash to begin with but it certainly did make its way into being a treasure indeed! This is my most recent makeover!💕#makeover #beautiful #statementpiece #upholstery #frenchchair There are 2 sides to everything and in this makeover too!  Velvety glam on the front and a modern statement in peacock feathers hugging the back!  Soooo pretty! 💕💕#thecuratorscollection #obsessed #sofine #soglam #feathers #velvet #statementpiece #beautiful #makeover #upholstery I am obsessed!! These (there are 2!) might just be the most luxurious chairs I have ever re upholstered! Gorgeous metallics mixed with luxurious fine velvets!  Wait till you see the backside of these chairs!  They will be delivered to their home tomorrow morning!  Can't wait!! #luxury #glamglow #makeover #upholstered #stunning #thecuratorscollection #soglam #sofine #obsessed Okay... here's a peek at the "during" of these two sweet chairs. They were  my client's Nana's chairs and it is my hope that Nana would be pleased with this makeover. #nanaschair #thecuratorscollection #makeover #upholstered #velvet #newlook #soglam #metallic So this is what has been keeping me busy these days... actually there are 2 of them! Without giving away what they look like now I thought I would share what the choices for fabric were first. My client chose the print for the backside and the velvet for the front side with exquisite soft pink velvet for the welting and the arms. I also gave the orange looking wood a glamorous look with some warm silver metallic paint. I hope to share with you soon! I don't want to share the reveal before the owner has had a chance to see them :). #thecuratorscollection #upholstered #makeover #velvet #soglam #mynanas Soooooo this is my current situation.... I'm on sewing machine number three in 2 days and a deadline nearing the end in 4 days! 😬 I SWEAR ITS NOT ME! Lol... hubby is trying to fix mine after bringing me home one from one of his co-worker's wife's ... how sweet is he? 💕huge shout out of gratitude to Mrs. Schafer for helping me in a pinch! 😘🌷#stressfulday #sewing #upholstery #deadlines #sweetpeople #thankyou #gratitude