Antique Grain Sack Covered Settee

October 10, 2016 by Terry

petiete-settee-8

After having this piece for a couple of years and not knowing exactly what I wanted to do with it, I am excited to share it’s new look with you.

It really wasn’t in bad condition at all but the upholstery didn’t agree with me.  I thought about trying out the ever popular painting of the fabric but chickened out after reading about how people who loved it in the beginning ended up dissatisfied with the way it wears a few months later.  I would rather only take on a job once if I can help it.

Antique grain sacks are a rare find in antique stores these days, they are so popular that if you find one (no matter the condition) you’d better scoop it up right away!  I found mine on a trip to Edmonton to see my uber talented friend Marie from The Interior Frugalista.  She was a vendor at a market there and I took a chance and surprised her.  We had never met in person and this was the perfect opportunity to do so as well as check out some of the amazing antique malls there.

Let’s just say the trip did not disappoint!  Not only did I get to meet my friend and give her a hug in person but I managed to snag an actual antique grain sack!!  Woo hoo!  I knew exactly what it was going to be used for … my settee!!

Of course there was a little sewing and piecing together of it to make it work but here is how it turned out!

petite-settee-9

I wanted it to have a bit of an unfinished antique raw feel so I left the edges to being frayed and used upholstery tacks instead of using fancy trim.

Here are some photos of the whole upholstering process.  It is not a tutorial by any means but I did add in a few tips on how I did it.

After it was stripped naked, I pieced it back together using my newly acquired grain sack and some burlap.  The entire piece is hand tacked and hand stitched together.  This is where patience is tested!  100’s of tacks to remove and 100’s to put back!

petite-settee-6

. . . a few how to’s

petite-settee-3

next . . .

petite-settee-4

next the hammering in of the tacks . . .

petite-settee5

Next I used some thin twine in a blanket stitch to give detail to the seams on the seat cushion.  I also used the same twine in a running stitch to attach linen to the burlap on the backrest.

petiete-settee-1

you can see the backrest here . . .

petite-settee-7

Unfortunately I was not completely fond of the stamp on the grain sack and it does have a few remaining stains on it even after washing it.  No worries though as I just laid a fur throw over it.  Now the logo is hidden and the grain sack is protected from further wear.  The logo isn’t totally bad but I would have preferred something a little more pretty.  I couldn’t be choosy since I have yet to come across a grain sack this size.

I love how it turned out and I’m so happy I decided not to paint the original fabric.

She looks stunning in my entryway and makes my heart sing every time I walk by her!

petite-settee-10

petiete-settee-8

petite-settee-11

Sharing this sweet settee here:

petiete-settee-8

Stone Gable

17 thoughts on “Antique Grain Sack Covered Settee

1. Terri says:

I’m totally in love with this!!! Awesome job!

2. Cheryl says:

I love how it turned out, great job!!

3. I love how this came out. I will be referring to your tips when I get ready to redo a chair that has to be in this style.

Thank you Debra! I love the semi unfinished look of antique furniture, it’s not so formal feeling but is still pretty. I hope you have a great week!

4. You found grain sack fabric that day – you lucky girl!!! Where, one of the vendors or inside the antique mall? You do such a beautiful job with your upholstered pieces and like your painted furniture, pay so much attention to detail! Lovely job – pinning and sharing. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving Terry! hugs xo

Marie you are super sweet! Thank you for always being so uplifting! Yes, I found the grain sack in the antique mall by your booth. It was upstairs in that little yucky(ish) booth by the discount area. I may have even gasped loud enough to make people look at me ha ha! Thank you for pinning and sharing too! Have a great rest of your week!

5. Applause-applause-applause girl! LUV it! Perfect finishes and detials—AND those columns~o.m.g!

6. Judy Walters says:

We are sharing this beautiful chair on The House of van Gogh’s Facebook page this evening. Fabulous detail! This chair is visually appealing so I bet it is just outstanding when people get to touch the grain sack seat and the shabby paint. Love Love Love this chair. Congratulations!

7. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Terry that is one beautiful transformation for such a special settee. The choice of the grain sack really shows off the shape and uniqueness of the furniture.

8. Ok there is nothing left to say so just picture me with my jaw on the floor! Great tips too 🙌

For all my friends who are wondering how we are settling into our new home… It is certainly coming along! We have been warmly welcomed in our new community but our hearts are also still invested in our old one!  We miss you all! … Any recommendations for a throw rug for our new living room?  Looking for the perfect one :-) any suggestions are welcomed! #newhome #settlingin #newcomers #throwrug #newdesign #newdigs #gettingthere #interiordesign Think I'm being judged on my patchwork on the walls… not sure exactly what is happening in this photo but… It's a typical Foster family evening indeed!😂😂#thecuratorscollection #judged #whatshappening #wierd #catsofinstagram #movingnight #kittyshenanigans #hmmmm Mixed emotions tonite... after 10 years in this house our family is moving on to a new chapter... this is our last night here in this home and this town. We are moving on into a brand new adventure! I will share more about what that adventure entails soon :-). I want all of my very close friends to know how much you mean to me and how much your support means to me.  This is not goodbye… It is just see you later ;-) love and hugs! 💕#newadventures #moving #stress #excited #newlife #thecuratorscollection #torn #missyou #lastday#movingon #makeover ... Who loves #frogtape ? ... testing it to the limit this week for sure :-) from toy chest to grown-up hope chest... almost ready to monogram it. #fatpaint #raven #thecuratorscollection #beforeandafter #birthdaysurprise #growingup #hopechest #blackandwhite #stripes In amongst getting 4 kids registered for their new school, shopping for school supplies and packing up a five level split to move ... it's so nice to be able to take a breather and just enjoy friends and family… Thank you @_mariarobinson for Sharing your life for the afternoon with me and my family! We certainly needed this break! It was so much fun! We hope to do it again soon :-)#farmlife #horses #horsebackriding #thegoodlife #goodfriends #thecuratorscollection #newskills #babylove First meeting for these two... this big lump of love was supposed to be babysitting his 350 head of sheep with the other dogs but spotted my daughter and... well... the rest is history... when you know it's "true love"... lol💕 #thecuratorscollection #truelove #loveatfirstsight #soulmates #furbabies #ishouldbewatchingthesheep #pretty #love