InFATuated! 1920’s Sideboard in Warm White

October 17, 2016 by Terry

1920s-sideboard-4

InFATuated indeed!  I discovered a new line of paint last spring and I am absolutely loving it more and more each time I use it.  (I am in no way being compensated to talk about this paint line)

I have been sitting on this 1920’s sideboard for a few years now and many of you have seen it in previous posts.  It has been sitting half finished for 2 years in a sloppy coat of chalk paint in a plain white.  I had experimented a little with wet distressing on the left side but wasn’t exactly pleased with where it was going so I quit for a while to gain a new perspective.  A while turned into almost 2 years. U G H !

DSCN5340

Because it is such a beautiful piece of furniture I wanted to do something timeless and classy.  Trendy colours are fun and look amazing on pieces like this one but I didn’t want it to be just on trend and then need to be made over again.

Then when I discovered FAT paint and started using it more and more, I knew this is what I wanted to finish this sideboard with.

I decided to use Warm White FAT Paint with a clear wax finish.  I did highlight the details with light distressing and dark wax.

I sanded down the entire piece to rid it of my past paint mistake and smooth everything out.

img_2349

To be honest I was kinda loving it in it’s heavily distressed state but the beautiful details of the piece got lost and felt a little too busy.

I’m so happy with how it turned out.  With a double waxing and a whole lot of buffing this is how she turned out!

G O R G E O U S ! ! !

1920s-sideboard-5

The original hardware was very similar but needed to be replaced as they were either missing or broken and I could not find the same ones anywhere.  I was lucky to find these last minute, I would be reduced to ceramic knobs without them and that would be just very wrong.

1920s-sideboard-2

Just look at that shine!  You can see it’s reflection in the top …

1920s-sideboard-7

I did distress it here and there and even a little on the top so it wasn’t so perfect and looks like it has a bit of natural wear and tear.

The top drawers are lined with book pages and the cupboards are painted inside as well but I decided to leave the large middle drawer in it’s original state.  I had to leave something original to it and it is in beautiful condition.

1920s-sideboard-1

1920s-sideboard-3

She has found a new home where she will be loved as much as I love her and is being delivered this week.

1920s-sideboard-5

While I still have my favourite Milk Paint and mineral paint, FAT Paint has fast become a new favourite on my list!  Have you tried it yet?  (If you are local and want to give it a try you can find it here ask for Angie or Sean and they will hook you up.)

Sharing this sideboard here:1920s-sideboard-4

Stone Gable

16 thoughts on “InFATuated! 1920’s Sideboard in Warm White

1. I will need to try this paint out. I bet it was hard for you to part with this piece. It is simply gorgeous.

2. cragg.house says:

Wow! Absolutely stunning piece!

3. What a beautiful makeover, Terry. You did this piece justice and it’s no surprise it has already sold! Did you paint the top and those gorgeous detailed pieces a different color or was the color difference achieved with dark wax? Sad we didn’t get to see the book page lined drawers and painted cupboards. What color did you paint them? Pinning to share this gorgeous sideboard :)

Thank you Marie! I did go a little heavier on the dark wax on top. It’s funny how the lighting changes the look too as it looks lighter in some spots on the pictures than it does in real life. I forgot to take photos of the interior as I took the photos on the fly realizing it was sold but I hadn’t taken any photos of it. eek! bad blogger! ;) I hope you have an amazing day Marie!

That is a gorgeous piece! The details on your sideboard are so much lovelier than the one I just did. I think you made the right call going with a timeless warm white on yours!

5. It turned out beautiful! I’m happy that I’m not the only one that sits on projects for long periods of time.

6. Fat paint is made here in BC! Fab product, no? I mean, just look how that sideboard turned out! Spectacular ❤️

I love that this is a Canadian product too, and it really is FAB to work with! Than you for the sweet compliment! Hope you are having a great weekend!

7. Terry this turned out beautifully!! It is a stunning piece. I just tried out FAT for the first time last weekend and loved it. The colours are so beautiful and they look so Canadian :) I am really looking forward to using it on a piece of furniture and not just small things! Thanks for sharing.

You will love it on furniture! It is a very workable paint that smooths out beautifully especially if you lightly sand it after! I can’t wait to see what you use it on! I hope you have an amazing day!

8. Judy Walters says:

Love this finished treasure. Absolutely beautiful!
    Congratulations!
    Judy from The House of van Gogh

I sewed these custom slipcovers for a favourite client last May and completely forgot to share the love seat!  Came across these pictures while browsing through my old photos. Swipe to see the back and the matching chairs :-) #slipcover #thecuratorscollection #custom #loveseat #wingback #interiordesign #farmhousestyle Once upon a time when this.... turned into this!  #cheerful #beforeandafter #makeover #fatpaint #upholstery #thecuratorscollection #embroidered #antique Brothaaazzz.... !
My little Warhawks 🏈 #football #brothers #twins #helmuthair #winninglosers #handsomeboys  Happy Saturday! For all my friends who are wondering how we are settling into our new home… It is certainly coming along! We have been warmly welcomed in our new community but our hearts are also still invested in our old one!  We miss you all! … Any recommendations for a throw rug for our new living room?  Looking for the perfect one :-) any suggestions are welcomed! #newhome #settlingin #newcomers #throwrug #newdesign #newdigs #gettingthere #interiordesign Think I'm being judged on my patchwork on the walls… not sure exactly what is happening in this photo but… It's a typical Foster family evening indeed!😂😂#thecuratorscollection #judged #whatshappening #wierd #catsofinstagram #movingnight #kittyshenanigans #hmmmm Mixed emotions tonite... after 10 years in this house our family is moving on to a new chapter... this is our last night here in this home and this town. We are moving on into a brand new adventure! I will share more about what that adventure entails soon :-). I want all of my very close friends to know how much you mean to me and how much your support means to me.  This is not goodbye… It is just see you later ;-) love and hugs! 💕#newadventures #moving #stress #excited #newlife #thecuratorscollection #torn #missyou #lastday#movingon