French Twins | Curator’s Style

March 30, 2017 by Terry

It would seem I am on a ‘chair streak’ again. It’s no secret that I am a chair addict and have been known to have over 17 chairs in my garage at one time!  Yep, if it is old and full of character then chances are it will be coming home with me!

I am proud to say that I only have 3 chairs in my stash right now … but … yard sale season is upon us so that may change in the next little bit!

If you follow me on Instagram or Face Book you may have seen the French Twins I custom reupholstered.  I was so pleased with how they turned out that I couldn’t help but share them right away.  I know … spoiler I am, but they were so pretty I couldn’t help it!

I have been asked over and over when I am going to share them on my blog and today seems to be a good day for that.  I have a full cup of coffee and I am only slightly distracted by what is going on outside my window (lol) so let’s get to it shall we?

I usually don’t take on too many custom projects because I find them to be high pressure and not from the client but from myself. I obsess over getting it just right because I believe people should get what they pay for AND I want it to look professional like it came from the factory. Hopefully this is what I have achieved with these two sweet chairs.

I started out by taking my client to my favourite place for fabric Absolute Custom Designs where Angie (the owner) took the time to show us many options for fabric.  She is amazing at this and her objective opinion is always welcome.

Here is a before photo of the chair and the fabrics we decided on.

My client was looking for something feminine, modern and classy for these chairs.  The walls in her office are a very soft pink and she was wanting the colour to be incorporated some way.

We decided that a metallic velvet with a soft pink trim around the front and on the arms would be perfect for the front.  For the backside we decided to have a little more fun and bring in the modern feminine feel with a lavender/pink-eyed peacock print trimmed with metallic velvet welting.

To take things up a notch I suggested painting the wood in a warm gold and really bring on the glam!

I was so excited to get started on this makeover I could hardly wait for the fabric to arrive!

While I was waiting I deconstructed the twins and as usual, this is my least favourite part of any upholstery project.  I HATE REMOVING STAPLES!!!!  Bring out the BandAids!!!

This chair was riddled with waaaaaaaaaaaay too many staples and I discovered this within the first few seconds of removing the original welting …  Seriously!!!  It’s just trim!  UGH! I think in that moment my excitement went from a 10 to a -10!  Well what was under the trim for staples was no better and looked exactly like this.  It took me a full 8 hours of staple removing just to get one chair naked.

After deconstruction of the first chair, it was time to paint the wood. Warm metallics are so pretty and I decided after painting the wood that I’d like to bring out the details on it a bit more by giving it a wash of espresso stain.  I let the stain settle in the cracks and imperfections and wiped it off right away.

The results were perfect for these chairs!

Since this post is getting a little long winded and I have so many photos to share, I will just cut straight to the good part…

I am obsessed with these French Twins but they weren’t without struggle… I went through three sewing machines and a few other hiccups just to get to this point!  Was it worth it?  Indeed it was, they are stunning!!

Thank you to my client for your trust!

Thank you to all of you who have left me such inspiring comments about this project!  You really lift me high and it means so much!

I hope you have an amazing week!

16 thoughts on “French Twins | Curator’s Style

1. Shelly Powell says:

I second that WOW! At first glance I thought the peacock fabric was an odd choice, but WOW!!! It really made the chairs! I love how the new cushions look on the seats! I could never tackle that job. You are a pro girl!
    Blessings

2. Raylene says:

They are stunning! You did an amazing job on them.

3. Cynthia Benson says:

I don’t know if there are words to express how absolutely gorgeous these chairs are!! You are such a talent lady.

Cynthia

4. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Gorgeous chair Terry! I love the fabric on the back it is so unexpected!

Thank you Mary! It was such a fun combination of fabric. I really love the way it all works together for that perfect glam look;)
      I hope you have a great weekend! Thank you for taking the time to comment!

5. Yay, I was patiently waiting for them to appear here on the blog. Such a gorgeous makeover – definitely my favorite so far and I love all your work. These chairs are all business in the front – party in the back. Stunning!!!

Oh Marie you make me smile! Thank you for your sweet comments and taking the time to pop by and say hello! I know you are an incredibly busy gal these days:). I hope you have an amazing weekend. I will be headed your way for a hockey tournament this weekend and am hoping I can sneak away to hit a few antique shops and thrift stores ;). We will be taking the truck so …. well… wink wink!
      Take care friend!

6. Carol says:

Oh my goodness, so lovely!

7. Peggy Z says:

Oh my! I am having a major attack of chair envy! I admire your talent for being very brave. The metallic paint on the wood trim is beautiful. But those peacock feathers, just stunning! I have missed seeing you in the blogosphere. So glad you shared these.

8. You have outdone yourself. The chairs are gorgeous.

9. GASP!!!! Beautiful beautiful beautiful

It may still look like winter outside, but inside it's spring! 🌿 The lilac branches I brought inside are leafing out 👏🏻💕 This yucky weather needs to go already! #spring #buds #lilac #waitinggame #thecuratorscollection #vignette Happy Friday friends! I have been tagged by Deb of @shoppeno5debra to join in on some #fun  everyone joining in is sharing highlights in one post #myscreenshotsquare thank you for including me in the fun… I hope my tagged friends will also join in! :-) Have a great weekend! Playing along with @prodigalpieces #trashure  Thank you for tagging me!  This corner bench literally was in the trash but after spying those antique legs with castors under the ugly skirt I knew it had beautiful potential!! I made over this empire dresser over a year ago but was never really settled on the colour. Don't get me wrong I do like the colour just not for my own home. Any suggestions on something a little more neutral?  I am leaning towards a brown base coat with a chippy farmhouse white top coat what do you think? #getitdone #redo #empire #antique #farmhousestyle #thecuratorscollection #doover #regrets #painted #furniture I usually don't participate in these types of things… Mostly due to laziness but I really have enjoyed reading about everybody and getting to know them better so here goes! 1- I am constantly rearranging furniture in my mind no matter where I go. 2-  I love sharing my makeovers on my blog but I absolutely dread the writing portion of it. If I could have just a picture blog with no explanation that would be ideal but people like details :) 3- I have a hard time saying no to people 4- I have five beautiful children (three girls and twin boys ) and I complain about the craziness of it all yet I would have another baby in a heartbeat if I could! 5- I love red wine 6- I had a stroke ten years ago and was transported from my acreage by stars air ambulance to a hospital in Calgary. If it wasn't for stars air ambulance I don't think I would be so fortunate to walk and talk today. 7- I was widowed at the age of 20. 8-I am a Christian 9-I have been married to my wonderful husband for 19 years 9- I basically live in my garage! LOL 10- I used to work for a group of surgeons until my hobby became my career The apple computer that I blog off of was a gift from those surgeonS for Christmas one year LOL. 11- I have a dog and a cat whom I converse with all day long while the kids are at school. 12- our cat walks on a leash and goes camping with us. She also enjoys softball games and hockey ;-). 13- as I am writing these 20 things about myself I am also thinking about painting my kitchen cabinets 😂 14- I get up at 5 o'clock every morning to have coffee with my sweetheart before The kids get up and before he goes to work. 15- I grew up in the back of a shoe store and hate the smell of leather because of it. My parents still own that shoe store today! 16- I am the youngest of two children... I am physically younger than my sister but mentally older ;-). 17- if something is crooked or out of place I can't not fix it. 18- I dream of having my own storefront someday. 19-  I'm a just do it kind of person…. 20-  Love all things pretty!  If it's not pretty I will make it pretty! LOL. Got holes? Don't fret!!! Sharing some tips and tricks today on how to easily get rid of them without hiring out the job!  Click on the link in my profile to check it out! #diy #patching #drywall #easypeasylemonsqueezy #nostress #getitdone