1917 Sofa Love…

May 23, 2016 by Terry

When I found this stained beauty by chance in a thrift store, I threw it in the back of my truck and excitedly drove home with visions of what it could become!

Once home, not everyone was as thrilled with it as I was and I even had to bribe some of my family members to help me carry it inside.  When I call them the kids usually tend to scatter because they know I need help lifting something ;) lol!

IMG_8422

I have to say I didn’t blame them this time, it really was quite heavy and awkward to bring in.

IMG_8424

Outside of the mystery stain on the seat that led up the back … it was perfect!

I tore into it right away and quickly realized that this really was antique.  Not a single staple in it!  Upholstery tacks only!  Not only that but there was straw and horse hair inside!  On the inside of the frame at the back was a smeared stamp that said 1917 and illegible writing, which I think may be initials?    I could not find a company name anywhere.

Now for the good part, putting it back together.  I couldn’t decide between two cushions for the seat  like it had, or changing it to being one long one so that it required less readjusting after being sat on.  I ended up opting for one long cushion.  To give it a little extra design and pretty, I ruched the sides of the cushion.  I’m so happy I took the time to do this as it turned out super pretty!

The legs were painted with MMS Milk Paint.  I let them be chippy and after sanding, added white wax to complete the look. I used left over fabric to trim the sofa.  I frayed the edges and folded it for that bit of a shabby, informal yet formal look. I did purchase some grey trim but when I placed it on to try it, I found it made it look a bit stuffy and untouchable.

This trim and it’s unfinished look was more what I was going for, I also like that the staples look more like stitches than staples.

mmmmmmmmmmm! Sofa love!  This room is back in the works of yet another change.  I received these beautiful antique windows for Mother’s Day this year and of course …. if I get something new, then EVERYTHING gets moved around!  Yep, it doesn’t take much to inspire me!

The lamp shades were left over from the market too and I have converted them into pendant lighting for either side of the sofa.  I still need to sew cord covers for them but can’t decide what type of fabric to use.  The little round side table also got a quick splash of MMS linen paint in order to “fit in”… same with the round mirror.  I decided the mirror needed to be chippy so I didn’t sand it before painting it with MMS Linen.  I got my wish with the chipping and quickly sealed it with some clear poly.

The throw pillows, I borrowed from Aliah’s room, they spend most of the time in her closet so I felt it was okay to borrow them so they could at least be seen in the clean (if you know what I mean!  ha ha!) They were made out of an old bed skirt that was damaged but had such pretty crocheted lace that I couldn’t part with it.

This room is a little tricky to photograph, it is long and narrow. It never ends up looking as good in photos as it does in real life.  But, you get the idea anyways :)

The other side table is an old typing table I found a year or so ago.  It will be fine there for now but I almost feel it is too high for the side of the sofa.  On the other hand, I like the chippy paint on the metal and the castors on the legs … we’ll see.

Love the paint patina on my new old windows!  Does my family know what makes my heart sing?… um yah!

I’m still busy arranging things just so in this room but I thought I’d share what I had going on so far … there’s still a little to do as always!

If you missed out on last week’s Making Broken Beautiful you can check it out by clicking here!

Have a great day!

Sharing this sofa at:

i should be mopping the floor

Reinvented collection

Elizabeth & Co.

My Sweet Things

The Scoop

Lehman Lane

Seeking Lavender Lane

At Home With Jemma

Share It One More Time

38 thoughts on “1917 Sofa Love…

1. Becky says:

The sofa is beautiful with such pretty trim. I love the ruching on the cushion and all your accessories are so pretty too. It’s a beautiful room.

Thank you Becky! That rouching was a true test of my patience indeed … not to mention my sewing skills! (or lack of…lol) I hope you have a great day!

2. thewoodspa says:

What an amazing transformation! I confess I wouldn’t give anything on that sofa as it was before. That is what I call “vision”. Congratulations on you beautiful room!

Thank you so much for the sweet compliment! I just couldn’t leave it there … good thing it wasn’t a puppy ;) lol Hope you have a great week!

3. oh wow! what a find!! Looks great!!

4. Oh my goodness the couch is so beautiful. What craftsmanship.

5. Karen valdez says:

The sofa turned out so pretty. What’s the saying? Everything old is new again!

6. Oh my Terry, I love the roushing detail on the sofa cushion! Kudos to you for daring to take on such a big upholstery project. Also for seeing the potential in this 1917 beat up sofa, mysterious stain and all. It looks beautiful in your living room. So good to meet you in person on Monday!

Thank you Marie! Maybe one day you can come sit and visit on this sofa with me! I so enjoyed our short time together too! It was like “ahhhhh! Celebrity sighting!” for me! Oh… forgot to get your autograph ;) ! I hope you have a great week!

7. Studio Paint Design says:

Hello Terry,

You did such a great job on this sofa!! I just love the ruching and the unique wooden “hook” at the end of the armrest.
    Glad to hear you were not directly affected by the Fort Mac fires but I know how it has displaced our fellow Canadians in that community. Our thoughts are certainly with them.

Have a great day!

Maxine

Thank you so much Maxine! I love the “hook” too, I think that’s what made me buy it to begin with … I know it wasn’t the mystery stain that drew me in to begin with ! lol
      I hope you have a great week!

8. Terry the couch is absolutely gorgeous!!! You did an incredible job! I am in couch looove <3

Thank you Lisa! I’m in sofa heaven with it! It has inspired me to finally try and do something about my icky curtains ;) … I hope you have a great week!

9. Oh wow, your sofa is gorgeous!!! It is also almost exactly the same couch my mom had when she was still living. I’ve kicked myself a few times for parting with it. You’ve done an incredible job with the slipcovers Terry.
    Hugs my friend,
    Patti

10. Stacey says:

Wow! OK, to start with the stain running up the back might have scared me away. You truly transformed that ol’ girl though. Way to go!

Happy Thoughts of Home ♥

11. Carol says:

Your talent is unbelievable! I never would attempt something like this, but I am green with envy. Lovely, lovely room.

12. repurposingjunkie says:

Terry, you did a wonderful job on this 1917 sofa!! It looks terrific! Loves those legs. The one seat and the ruching looks so good!! Awesome job!!

13. KreativK says:

Wow! What a sofa! I would have never had that vision but you did and it is beautiful! Everything looks so pretty, the old window, the decor, everything! You did a great job!

14. You sofa transformation is completely enchanting. Thank you so very much for joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

15. What a beautiful transformation ; you are very talented! :)

16. Carol says:

Terry, this sofa redo is just beautiful. You are one talented lady. I love the complete treatment you have done. I’m glad YOU found the sofa because you obviously gave it the restoration it deserved.

Awe! You made my day with your sweet comments! Thank you for lifting me up! I think this sofa was just waiting for me ;) ! I hope you have an amazing day!

17. […] 1917 Sofa Love | by The Curators Collection […]

18. What a gorgeous sofa, Terry. I’m so impressed with your sewing skills! The whole room is lovely, and your family has great taste … those windows are AWE-SOME! Happy weekend to you!

19. Tracey Paterson-Ovian says:

I’m wondering if the sofa is still for sale/?

So sorry for the late reply! The sofa sold back in the summer time at the garage sale I had. So sorry! It really was a beautiful piece! Thank you for inquiring! I hope you had a joyous Christmas with family and friends!

Thank you so much Larissa @prodigalpieces for tagging me in today's #trashure fun!  I don't know that this French chair was trash to begin with but it certainly did make its way into being a treasure indeed! This is my most recent makeover!💕#makeover #beautiful #statementpiece #upholstery #frenchchair There are 2 sides to everything and in this makeover too!  Velvety glam on the front and a modern statement in peacock feathers hugging the back!  Soooo pretty! 💕💕#thecuratorscollection #obsessed #sofine #soglam #feathers #velvet #statementpiece #beautiful #makeover #upholstery I am obsessed!! These (there are 2!) might just be the most luxurious chairs I have ever re upholstered! Gorgeous metallics mixed with luxurious fine velvets!  Wait till you see the backside of these chairs!  They will be delivered to their home tomorrow morning!  Can't wait!! #luxury #glamglow #makeover #upholstered #stunning #thecuratorscollection #soglam #sofine #obsessed Okay... here's a peek at the "during" of these two sweet chairs. They were  my client's Nana's chairs and it is my hope that Nana would be pleased with this makeover. #nanaschair #thecuratorscollection #makeover #upholstered #velvet #newlook #soglam #metallic So this is what has been keeping me busy these days... actually there are 2 of them! Without giving away what they look like now I thought I would share what the choices for fabric were first. My client chose the print for the backside and the velvet for the front side with exquisite soft pink velvet for the welting and the arms. I also gave the orange looking wood a glamorous look with some warm silver metallic paint. I hope to share with you soon! I don't want to share the reveal before the owner has had a chance to see them :). #thecuratorscollection #upholstered #makeover #velvet #soglam #mynanas Soooooo this is my current situation.... I'm on sewing machine number three in 2 days and a deadline nearing the end in 4 days! 😬 I SWEAR ITS NOT ME! Lol... hubby is trying to fix mine after bringing me home one from one of his co-worker's wife's ... how sweet is he? 💕huge shout out of gratitude to Mrs. Schafer for helping me in a pinch! 😘🌷#stressfulday #sewing #upholstery #deadlines #sweetpeople #thankyou #gratitude